Upgrade server for VS2005

Eric Connell

I'm interested in porting an existing app to Visual Studio .NET 2005
(ASP.NET 2.0). I need to hit a windows 2003 server with a SQL Server 2000
database.

I want to use the server to host my web site and hit the SQL Server database
too.

My questions:
What do I need to do to support ASP.NET and a web site? Will everything work
acceptably if I just install the new framework, or is there more? Also, can
I expect my older ASP.NET 1.0 apps to work after upgrading the server?

Eric Connell

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Eric,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
Regarding on the upgrading question you mentioned, here are some of my
understanding and suggestions:

As for WIN2003 server, by default there exists the 1.0 framework on it. And
what we need to do is register the ASP.NET components in the IIS. WE can do
this through the
aspnet_regiis.exe tool:

#ASP.NET IIS Registration Tool (Aspnet_regiis.exe)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cptools/html/cpgrfaspnetiisregistrat
iontoolaspnet_regiisexe.asp?frame=true

This is sufficient for running ASP.NET 1.X web application.

If we want to host asp.net 2.0 app, we need to install the .net
framework2.0. Also, multi verion of the .net runtime can exist on the same
server. And .net appliation can be configured to run under different
version. As for ASP.NET, we need to switch the runtime version in IIS's
management console. (There will appear a new tab in the virutal directory's
configuration panels named "ASP.NET" if we install .net 2.0 , this will
ease the version switching much easier)

#Managing Multiple Versions of ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconmanagingmultipleve
rsionsofaspnet.asp?frame=true

# Configuration Management in ASP.NET 2.0 - Part 2
http://www.extremeexperts.com/Net/Articles/ConfigurationManagementinASPNETPa
rt2.aspx

Also, since BETA2 of the VS.NET Whidbey is vailable, I think it'll be
better to try buiding some common pages and deploying them so as to get
some detailed sense on it. And I think the tech articles and resources in
ASP.NET developer center are also very helpful:

#Migrating from ASP.NET 1.x to ASP.NET 2.0
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/migration/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us
/dnvs05/html/migratefromaspnetto2.asp

#ASP.NET 2.0 Beta 2 and Visual Web Developer Beta 2
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/beta2/

If there are any other questions or ideas, please feel free to discuss with
us. Thanks,

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Eric,

Have you got any further ideas on this issue or is my last reply of
assistance. If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here.

Have a good time in the International Labor day! :)