    I know if I opened the project using VS2008, it would prompt me to upgrade,
    but I need to do this from VS2005.

    Thanks for any help.

    Ronald S. Cook, Jul 22, 2008

  2. Ronald S. Cook

    Norman Yuan Guest

    ..NET 3.5 IS .NET2.0 plus some added stuff: WCF,WF, WPF. In the case of
    ASP.NET app, it still run on .NET2.0. If you need to use .NET3.0 feature in
    your ASP.NET app, you can patck your VS2005 with WF add-in (formal release)
    and/or WCF -add-in (only community preview release). However, if you do not
    use WF and/or WCF, then you do not need anything else: VS2005 is all you
    need for .NET2.0 ASP.NET app.

    However, if you have VS2008, you can update your VS2005 project to VS2008
    project and still target .NET2.0 only. Unless you have to do SQL Server
    reporting servicces report design, you do not need VS2005 any more.

    Norman Yuan, Jul 22, 2008

  3. That's incorrect. VS 2005 was designed to work with ASP.net 2.0. It will not
    upgrade to new functionality. I also don't believe it was designed to
    downgrade to ASP.Net 1.x but I do remember some hacks that could be done
    after-the fact.

    VS 2008 supports multi-targeting of framework versions so it could do the
    3.5 framework or the 2.0 for ASP.Net.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression