Option for .NET version 3.5 not in IIS Manager?

John Kotuby

Hi all,

I am upgrading my web app from VS2005 to VS2008 (using VB). I opened the
project in VS2008 and selected the 3.5 version of NET framework. The project
compiles and runs fine on my Dev machine (which of course had the new
framework installed with VS 2008). I have noticed some references in
web.config to 3.5 in the compiler section.

I downloaded the 3.5 framework from MSDN to the production server and
installed it, requiring a reboot. I am presuming that the install registers
the new framework with IIS.

I don't think I am calling any 3.5 specific Methods as I haven't really
changed the code since the upgrade to VS2008.

What concerns me is when in IIS Manager, I don't see an option under the
ASP.NET tab to select version 3.5.

Is there something more I need to do for that to happen? I don't want to add
new 3.5 specific functionality only to find that it will not run on the
production web server.

Thanks for any help in this matter...

Misbah Arefin

Framework 3.5 is not a new framework it somewhat of a service pack 1 for
..NET 2.0, service pack 1 for .NET 3.0 and adds new features like LINQ etc.

Riki

Misbah said:
Framework 3.5 is not a new framework it somewhat of a service pack 1
for .NET 2.0, service pack 1 for .NET 3.0 and adds new features like
LINQ etc.

Meaning that you have to select version 2.0 in IIS, and you will have the
3.5 functionality.

Patrice

3.5 is 2.0 plus new features. So it stays 2.0 in IIS. You'll have just
references to so called .NET 3.5 assemblies in your web.config file to take
advantage of those new features but regarding IIS this is still the 2.0
CLR...

Misbah Arefin

Yes in IIS it will be 2.0

--
Misbah Arefin

Riki said:
Meaning that you have to select version 2.0 in IIS, and you will have the
3.5 functionality.

John Kotuby

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question, with the answer that v3.5
is just considered an upgrade or major service pack to .NET 2.0.