VS2008/AJAX/3.5 Problem

GaryDean

I'm using the released version of VS2008 running alongside VS2005 on my
server2003 machine. I have a new 3.5 website in VS2008 using the ajax
toolkit 3.5.

I am getting the following error:

Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager'
exists in both
'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'
and
'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'

I know this is a known issue but all of the stuff I have found has
reccommendations back when vs2008 was beta and most of it says to go back to
the 1.0 ajax toolkit.

What can I do to solve the problem? Are we not supposed to be able to
create production websites using the 3.5 toolkit?

TIA,
Gary

Steven Cheng

Hi Gary,

So based on the error message, it indicate that the VS 2008 system detect
both 1.0 and 3.5 version of the AJAX extension framework. Actually, AJAX
extension framework is the core framework(contains the base classes of AJAX
system), and control Toolkit is an additional component project that
provide some developed extenders(AJAX controls) that you can use.
Therefore, I think you can keep the extension as 1.0 for your main
development environment and you can use Control Toolkit 3.5 . As for
extension 3.5, since it is still under beta, you may try install it on
another test box(or virtual image) so as to separate from the main
development machine.

BTW, I've also found the following thread discussing on this issue, you may
also have a look to see whether the workaround it mentions help some:

#Ajax 2005 & 2008 side by side?
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1996297&SiteID=1

http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/07/30/using-vs-2008-to-target
-asp-net-ajax-1-0.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
Subject: VS2008/AJAX/3.5 Problem
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:46:00 -0700
I'm using the released version of VS2008 running alongside VS2005 on my
server2003 machine. I have a new 3.5 website in VS2008 using the ajax
toolkit 3.5.

I am getting the following error:

Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager'
exists in both
'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad
364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'

GaryDean

I've seen those two pages. One does not really address this issue. In the
other they simply went back to 1.0. I am afraid the answer is that the 3.5
toolkit cannot be used with VS2008 - at least while VS2005 is on the
machine. Once the 3.5 toolkit is installed, VS2008 will not tollerate
<asp:UpdatePanel.... in the code. Also it will not tollerate
<asp:ScriptManager.... I see it has it's own ToolkitScriptManager but I
can't find any docs on that.

The AJAX forum gets no responses. I've wasted two full days on this problem
and I guess I have to either abandon VS2008 or the 3.5 toolkit.
Gary

BobF

Gary -

I don't have a solution for you, but I am running VS2005/AJAXToolkit1.0
side-by-side with VWD2008E/AJAXToolkit3.5. I haven't run into any errors -
yet.

Sorry if it's elsewhere in the thread already, but do you have a simple
recipe I can test this for you with?

GaryDean

I actuall got by that problem by putting the 3.5 dll in my Bin but then hit
two other problems realted to the 3.5 ajaxtoolkit. I can't afford to mess
with any longer so I am going back to vs2005 and the 1.0 toolkit because I
have to produce some systems. The 3.5 toolkit is a house of cards.

I'm pursuing 3.5 issues on the AJAX forum now as a hobby because it's
educational.
Gary

Steven Cheng

Hi Gary,

I'm still wondering whether you've installed the "ASP.NET AJAX Control
Toolkit 3.5" or "Microsoft ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview". If you mean
the 3.5 on the following page:

http://www.asp.net/ajax/downloads/

I think it is the "Extensions" which is different from Control Toolkit.
I've also installed the new Control Tookit 3.5 from Toolkit site:

http://www.codeplex.com/AtlasControlToolkit/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?Rel
easeId=8513

and I'm currently using VS 2008 with AJAX extension 1.0 + Control Toolkit
3.5 and they work correctly.

From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>