URGENT - Very Puzzled - IIS Authentication

Bren

Hi All

My appologies for the URGENT shout but I need to get this sorted by 06:00
GMT otherwise I am going to have 150 screaming intranet users moaning at me.

Win 2k Server
ASP.NET 2

I have just deployed our shiny new ASP.NET 2 Intranet app and want to use
Integrated windows authentication at IIS level with "windows" authentication
in web.config.

I have put the tick in "Integrated Windows Authentication" in the directory
security tab of the website in IIS and taken the tick out of the "Anonymous
Access"

As part of our Group Policy all client XP PCs have thier IE home page set to
http://intranet.ourdomain.com which is the URL to our intranet.

The win2k intranet server is called sguk-web1 with an IP of 192.168.0.9

Users log onto the local area network as normal using thier windows logon,
authenticating against active directory.

The problem I am getting is as follows:
When a user opens up IE which takes them to the URL stated they get a log on
dialogue to enter thier network username and password again, which I don't
want to happen I just want it to go straight to the intranet and have
windows handle all authentication and authorization in the background.

To puzzle matters further if the user types in http://sguk-web1 then
everything works as it should do and windows does everything in the
backgroud.

But if the user types in http://192.168.0.9 then we get the same issue as if
they had gone to the URL http://intranet.ourdomain.com .

Any suggestions?

Best Regards
Bren

Juan T. Llibre

Given that it's an intranet app, and that all your clients are within your
network, instruct your users to go to http://sguk-web1 to enter the intranet.

While you sort things out regarding the naming issue, that will cover your *ss.

Kevin Jones

And if you read his post it says:

so when they open their browser it will go there by default!

Bren

Cheers for your replies guys.

I have sorted it now.
It was an issue with the security settings within IE
IE settings> Internet Options> Security Tab> Trusted Sites icon> Custom
level
button, scroll all the way to bottom of list,

User Authentication
X Automatic logon with current username and password

The network group policy was so locked down IE was allways trying to log in
anonymously.

Just changed group policy IE settings and problem solved.

Rgds
Bren

Guest

Ah, yes! That vaunted Trusted Sites trick again! Darn Internet Exploder!
Thanks for reminding us.
Peter

Juan T. Llibre

re:
And if you read his post it says: ....
so when they open their browser it will go there by default!

Of course. That's why I suggested that the Group Policies be changed!

:)