URLEncode thinks space should be +? what the?

chandy

I've been working with web technologies for ten years and in all that
time a safe urlencoding for a space has always been %20 on every
platform I have ever used. Now I am using asp.net and it's encoding a
space as a +. What on earth is this? Since when was a plus considered
a safe alternative to a space for transmission in a url? Heck there's
even an encoding for a plus sign, which shows just how un-safe this is!

So, rant over, is everyone having to roll there own urlencode for .net
or what?

Chandy

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

for the whole history of html, + has been the url substitute for space. %
encoding was added later, so many encoders use + instead of %20. asp.net,
like javascript has many url encoders, see Uri.EscapeUriString.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)