using css to change <select> button face and arrow color

Discussion in 'HTML' started by acorn, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. acorn

    acorn Guest

    Hello,

    I have read MANY posts reagarding the use of css to modify form
    elements. I understand the pros and cons regarding browser as well as
    OS compatibility. I need to make the <select> element arrow - and the
    button face behind the arrow - a different color for a site that is
    requiring the user to run IE only. Anyone know if this is possible
    using IE?

    I have been able to use the following code below to change the text and
    background of the <select> element, however the "arrow-color:#ffffff"
    does not work. And I haven't found anywhere the code to change the
    button face behind the arrow.

    select {
    font-size: 10px;
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    background-color: #9c9a9c;
    text-decoration: blink;
    arrow-color: #ffffff;
    }

    Thanks,
    Aaron

    acorn, Feb 24, 2006

  2. This contradicts with your previous statement. CSS is for optional
    presentational suggestions.
    Whatever it requires cannot be guaranteed, but people who try to do
    such foolish things probably manage to discriminate against IE 7, for
    example.
    What made you think arrow-color would work? It sounds you started
    inventing properties and expected browsers to read your mind.
    If that's the approach, why not simply use
    dwim: now !important;
    or something like that? :)

    Seriously, the place to start with IE-specific tuning is the Microsoft
    documentation:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/css/reference/attributes.asp
    Look at the properties with names starting with scrollbar-...

    Specifically, you'll find that there _is_ scrollbar-arrow-color and it
    does _not_ work for select (though it works e.g. for textarea).

    You could simulate a <select> element using a scrollable <div> element
    that contains a set of radio buttons, though the appearance would be
    different of course.

    BTW, e.g. setting font-size: 10px shows that you have _not_ understood
    the pros and cons of messing around with form fields and other
    elements.

    The text-decoration: blink part was an attempt at a joke, right?

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 24, 2006

  3. acorn

    IEDesigner Guest

    To the best of my knowledge you cannot change the color of the scrollbar or
    button for a <select> tag in IE. You can change the colors of the scrollbars
    in a <textarea>.
    IEDesigner

    IEDesigner, Feb 24, 2006
  4. acorn

    Jim Moe Guest

    It is not possible? Or you do not know?

    Jim Moe, Feb 24, 2006
  5. acorn

    acorn Guest

    Hello,
    "I need" was simply stating that it was a request from owner of the
    page to do this, not something I needed to survive
    I simply grabbed this code from an alt.html newsgroup posting, tested
    it, found some of the properties worked and others didn't. I wasn't
    inventing properties, I was posting a message to the newsgroup asking
    for help.
    I have not explored the pros and cons of using css with form field
    elements because I choose to leave form fields alone whenever possible.
    I find that the appearance varies with each browser and OS and I choose
    to keep those elements consitant instead of modifying them with css. I
    had a request from the owner of this page to change the <select>
    element, so I posted a message asking if it was possible. I now see
    that it is not, and I thank everyone for their help.
    I thought so myself.

    Thanks,
    Aaron

    acorn, Feb 24, 2006
  6. acorn

    EdwardRocks

    Joined:
    May 1, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ignore this Jukka person. Obviously an imbecile troll just looking to make trouble. Or a 12 year old.

    EdwardRocks, May 1, 2015