Using Perl modules

Jan Luehr

Hello,

since there are a lot of perl modules out there, I wonder if someone has
tried to use perl modules / functions in Ruby recently.
Googling reveals some rather outdated approaches (eg
http://www.yoshidam.net/perl_en.txt) but nothing serious.
Do you know any?

Thanks in advance,
Keep smiling
yanosz

Eric Hodel

Hello,

since there are a lot of perl modules out there, I wonder if someone
has
tried to use perl modules / functions in Ruby recently.
Googling reveals some rather outdated approaches (eg
http://www.yoshidam.net/perl_en.txt) but nothing serious.
Do you know any?

Last we tried this (with an early 1.8, IIRC) it worked out of the
box. What makes you say it is outdated?

Robert Klemme

2008/9/28 Jan Luehr said:
since there are a lot of perl modules out there, I wonder if someone has
tried to use perl modules / functions in Ruby recently.
Googling reveals some rather outdated approaches (eg
http://www.yoshidam.net/perl_en.txt) but nothing serious.
Do you know any?

My impression is that generally Ruby folks rather tend to rewrite Perl
modules because Ruby code is usually significantly more compact where
Perl's OO is close to nonexistent...
Keep smiling

Will try. ;-)

Cheers

robert

Ryan Davis

since there are a lot of perl modules out there, I wonder if someone
has
tried to use perl modules / functions in Ruby recently.
Googling reveals some rather outdated approaches (eg
http://www.yoshidam.net/perl_en.txt) but nothing serious.

maybe you should try it before you declare it outdated and "nothing
serious". I was able to fire up LWP::Simple, fetch a page, and do
stuff with it. That seems like a lot more than "nothing serious" to me.

Jan Luehr

Ryan said:
maybe you should try it before you declare it outdated and "nothing
serious". I was able to fire up LWP::Simple, fetch a page, and do
stuff with it. That seems like a lot more than "nothing serious" to me.

Maybe nothing serious is a bit harsh - sorry about that.
I'm looking for a reliable way to use perl code with ruby.
Yoshida Masato's library seems to be unmaintained since 2001/2002, never had
a stable (1.0) release, was tested on linux 2.0 and is requiring perl 5.6
while I'm using 5.10
Do you have any experiences apart from using LWP::Simple? Do you know
projects or software currently using this software?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz

Jan Luehr

Ryan said:
maybe you should try it before you declare it outdated and "nothing
serious". I was able to fire up LWP::Simple, fetch a page, and do
stuff with it. That seems like a lot more than "nothing serious" to me.

Maybe nothing serious is a bit harsh - sorry about that.
I'm looking for a reliable way to use perl code with ruby.
Yoshida Masato's library seems to be unmaintained since 2001/2002, never had
a stable (1.0) release, was tested on linux 2.0 and is requiring perl 5.6
while I'm using 5.10
Do you have any experiences apart from using LWP::Simple? Do you know
projects or software currently using this libarary?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz

Jan Luehr

Hello,

Eric said:
Last we tried this (with an early 1.8, IIRC) it worked out of the
box. What makes you say it is outdated?

Well, last release was in 2001 and it's requiring perl 5.6 while I'm using
perl 5.10.

Keep smiling
yanosz

Mark Thomas

Hello,

since there are a lot of perl modules out there, I wonder if someone has
tried to use perl modules / functions in Ruby recently.

Do you have one in mind? Many of the most useful perl modules are
available in some form for Ruby as well, they're just harder to find.

-- Mark.

Jan Luehr

Hello,

Mark said:
Do you have one in mind? Many of the most useful perl modules are
available in some form for Ruby as well, they're just harder to find.

I thought of using smbldap-tools as a high-level api for account management.

Keep smiling
yanosz

Mark Thomas

Hello,

I thought of using smbldap-tools as a high-level api for account management.

Keep smiling
yanosz

Well, smbldap-tools is invoked via a set of command-line programs, so
you can use them as-is from Ruby or create a more Rubyesque API by
wrapping the commands with Ruby classes. This is probably the easiest
thing to do.

There's also a Ruby LDAP interface (http://ruby-ldap.sourceforge.net/)
that may help you if you want to roll your own.

-- Mark.

Martin DeMello

I thought of using smbldap-tools as a high-level api for account management.

I've done this quite happily by calling the various smbldap
shellscripts via backticks.

martin

Ryan Davis

Maybe nothing serious is a bit harsh - sorry about that.
I'm looking for a reliable way to use perl code with ruby.
Yoshida Masato's library seems to be unmaintained since 2001/2002,
never had
a stable (1.0) release, was tested on linux 2.0 and is requiring
perl 5.6
while I'm using 5.10
Do you have any experiences apart from using LWP::Simple? Do you know
projects or software currently using this libarary?

again... I don't mean to sound like a broken record... but DID YOU TRY
IT???

ruby -I../../RubyInline/dev/lib -Ilib -rperl -e 'Perl.runtime.eval
"print 1+1, \"\\n\""'
2

that works... RIGHT NOW... against perl 5.8.8. I don't have perl 5.10
anywhere and I'm not willing to install it just to test it out for this.

If you're having actual problems... that's one thing and we can work
with you on that. But you seem to just be harping on something for
being old. Maybe it is unmaintained because it hasn't needed
maintenance?