Using popen & grep

Dan King

I'm relatively new to ruby and to practice I've put together the code
below - it's supposed take two arguments then apply it to a grep command
and display the output. Currently, nothing is outputted to the console.
Anyone see what I'm doing wrong, thanks.

1 #!/usr/bin/ruby
2
3 results = IO.popen("grep -i #{ARGV[0]} #{ARGV[1]}", "r")
4 while output = results.gets
5 puts output
6 end
7 results.close

Chen Ge

Dan said:
I'm relatively new to ruby and to practice I've put together the code
below - it's supposed take two arguments then apply it to a grep command
and display the output. Currently, nothing is outputted to the console.
Anyone see what I'm doing wrong, thanks.

1 #!/usr/bin/ruby
2
3 results = IO.popen("grep -i #{ARGV[0]} #{ARGV[1]}", "r")
4 while output = results.gets
5 puts output
6 end
7 results.close

cmd="grep -i #{ARGV[0]} #{ARGV[1]}"
puts cmd

results = IO.popen(cmd, "r")
while output = results.gets
puts output
end
results.close

you should chech ARGV is correct. you can run cmd on console to see
result,cheers!

Robert Klemme

I'm relatively new to ruby and to practice I've put together the code
below - it's supposed take two arguments then apply it to a grep command
and display the output. Currently, nothing is outputted to the console.
Anyone see what I'm doing wrong, thanks.

1 #!/usr/bin/ruby
2
3 results = IO.popen("grep -i #{ARGV[0]} #{ARGV[1]}", "r")
4 while output = results.gets
5 puts output
6 end
7 results.close

A few remarks: the block form of IO.popen is more robust because it
ensures proper closing of file handles. Also, using an array as first
argument avoids quoting issues - you need 1.9 for this. Thus you could do:

IO.popen ["grep", "-i", *ARGV[0..1]], "r" do |io|
io.each_line do |line|
puts line
end
end

However, much easier would be to read and grep yourself in Ruby:

rx = Regexp.new(ARGV[0], Regexp::IGNORECASE)

File.foreach ARGV[1] do |line|
puts line if rx =~ line
end

Kind regards