Using XSLT to extend XHTML

Discussion in 'XML' started by Eric Anderson, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. I am trying to use XSLT to extend XHTML so that I can have custom
    widgets. For example I have a calendar control. Whenever I put the
    following in the psudo-XHTML doc:

    <calendarbox name="mycal"/>

    I get a nice xhtml text box with a calendar icon beside it. When the
    calendar icon is clicked a calender pops up to allow the user to choose
    the date. Then the value chosen is stuck in the xhtml text field and can
    be submitted with the form. I have this working quite well but I have
    one problem. My general strategy has been to have my xhtml doc call a
    similarly named xsl file. This xsl file imports some general xsl
    templates and also imports some xsl templates for specific functionality
    used in the xhtml doc. Now some of the imported xsl templates may need
    to add stylesheet and script tags to the xhtml head tag. How do I add
    this information while still allowing other templates to add their style
    and script tags. Let me give you a simplified example:

    foo.xhtml
    ---------
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/structure/foo.xsl"?>

    <head>
    <title>My title</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/style/foo.css"/>
    </head>
    <specialwidget/>

    foo.xsl
    -------
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

    <xsl:import href="general.xsl"/>
    <xsl:import href="widgets.xsl"/>
    <xsl:import href="site.xsl"/>

    </xsl:stylesheet>

    First thing to note is that foo.xhtml could have style and script
    information itself. The second thing to note is that any of the imported
    xsl files in foo.xsl could add style and script information that their
    custom widgets might need.

    My goal is to encapsulate the external dependencies that each imported
    xsl file needs so that all I have to do is import the xsl file. The
    imported style will take care of adding those dependencies to the header.

    Any suggestions?

    Eric

    Eric Anderson, Oct 8, 2004

  2. You should use a namespace for your controls:

    like this:

    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/structure/foo.xsl"?>

    <head>
    <title>My title</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/style/foo.css"/>
    </head>
    <widgets:specialwidget/>

    And your xsl could match widges:specialwidget

    Hope you understand. Learn more about namespaces too, its really cool

    Tjerk Wolterink, Oct 9, 2004