validating a DTD online

jsonstein

I am going nuts trying to find a DTD validation service online...
is there any site which offers validation of DTDs online
and which does the validation in an authoritative manner?

thanks
jeffs

Jukka K. Korpela

I am going nuts trying to find a DTD validation service online...

The following services can be used for validating XML documents as well,
although they were set up primarily for validating HTML:
http://validator.w3.org/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
is there any site which offers validation of DTDs online
and which does the validation in an authoritative manner?

What do you mean by an authoritative manner? I don't see why you would need
authorities for this, any more than for checking that 2 + 2 = 4.

Jan Roland Eriksson

I am going nuts trying to find a DTD validation service online...
is there any site which offers validation of DTDs online
and which does the validation in an authoritative manner?

In addition to the links provided by Jukka, you may find this one to be
of interest...

<http://valet.webthing.com/>

Please note that there is nothing special about a DTD versus a document
instance when it comes to the validation process.

Just send your DTD to the validator, if need be tack a NUL doc instance
to the end of it. The validator will tell you if you have an error in
the external declaration subset (DTD) just as well as it will tell you
about errors in your doc instance.

Nick Kew

Jan said:
In addition to the links provided by Jukka, you may find this one to be
of interest...

<http://valet.webthing.com/>

[chop]

Note that when using Valet, you would need to use one of the Code Valet
tools to validate a DTD. The "standard" Page Valet validator will
suppress errors arising in a DTD, to avoid confusing the majority users.

Given that the W3C HTML 4.0 DTD (note, that's not the current 4.01)
gives rise to several messages when validating, this seems like a
necessary compromise.