Validating an XForms document

Discussion in 'XML' started by Will, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    I have been having problems validating an XForms document against the
    XForms schema located at
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2002/XForms-Schema.xsd.

    I have reduced the XForm to its bare bones as follows:

    <xf:model xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms">
    <xf:instance xmlns=""/>
    </xf:model>

    However, it still does not validate according to any of:

    1) http://www.gotdotnet.com/services/xsdvalidator/
    2) http://tools.decisionsoft.com/schemaValidate.html
    3) msxml 4.0 sp2

    I get errors relating to "model" and "instance" not being declared in
    the schema.

    Can anyone shed any light on this.

    Regards

    WH

    Will, Aug 12, 2004

  2. I have tried validating your simple document against the schema you have
    listed above with MSXML 4 with the following JScript program

    var schemaCache = new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLSchemaCache.4.0');
    schemaCache.add('http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms',
    'http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2002/XForms-Schema.xsd');

    var xmlDocument = new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0');
    xmlDocument.async = false;
    xmlDocument.schemas = schemaCache;

    var loaded = xmlDocument.load('test2004081204.xml');
    if (!loaded) {
    alert(xmlDocument.parseError.reason + '\r\n' +
    xmlDocument.parseError.line + '\r\n' +
    xmlDocument.parseError.srcText);
    }
    else {
    alert("valid");
    }

    and I already get an error when the schema is processed, the error
    happens when the included schema for XML schema
    http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd
    is processed so it doesn't look like MSXML 4 is able to help you with
    validation here.

    Martin Honnen, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Trying jEdit on your file by adding the schemaLocation attribute e.g.

    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2002/XForms-Schema.xsd">
    <xf:instance xmlns=""/>
    </xf:model>

    I do not get any validation errors, jEdit uses Xerces-J from
    http://xml.apache.org/.

    Martin Honnen, Aug 12, 2004