Variable scopes with code blocks.

Patrick Lynch

Hello!

Novice here. I'm reading Beginning Ruby and Beginning Rails by Apres and
building both applications they walk you through. Additionally, I'm
taking courses at lynda dot com and attempting to build a simple
application myself.

That said, I'm aware of the limits you have with local variable being
incapable of accessing variables defined inside of a code block, but is
there any exception to this rule?

Example:
_____________

1.times do
File.open("text.txt").each {|a| puts a}
end

puts a
# This where I get my error.
_____________

Is there anything I can do to 'puts a' that will allow it to return the
content it was passed inside of the code block?

Ultimately, I'd like to store the 'text.txt' as an array so I can call
uniq! on it... But we don't need to get into that in this thread.

I hope my question makes sense.

Thank you in advanced,
Aaron

Patrick Lynch

Good afternoon,

...this is slightly off topic, but i'm also going thru the Apress "Beginning
Ruby" book...i'm finding it to be a really good read...
...are you using a Mac, if so, take a look at 'TextMate' the editor
recommended for the Mac - it's excellent and it doesn't cost much...it
supports both Ruby and Rails...
...i went thru the AWDWR ["Agile Web Devlopment with Rails"] book - but I
found the "Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial" with an associated screen cast to be
better suited to me...it's a bit expensive, the screen cast and book will
run about $100...

...i'm in chapter 3 with the "Beginning Ruby" book and I hope to finish it
on Wednesday and then get back to Rails...

...i'll take a look at your question on Tuesday...

Good weekend