variable trouble

JAG

top.frames['info'].openTreeItem(mycaption);

This line fails when I click on my back button in my .hta frameset, and
the error is "Object doesn't support this property or method."

The line selects a given (javascript) tree item based on mycaption.
mycaption is assigned when a tree item is clicked, or by array when
clicking on the back button. Before executing the above call to the
tree I first check that the page containing the tree is loaded. If the
tree is loaded the program executes without an error.

If the tree is not loaded (and needs to be loaded) when the back button
is clicked, the tree is loaded:
top.info.location.href = "dirtree.htm";

Several lines later in the same function, the call to select the
appropriate tree item is made:
top.frames['info'].openTreeItem(mycaption);

The appropriate document loads, and the appropriate tree item is
highlighted. I still get the error. I've gotten this far after moving
the failing line to the bottom of the function (which in itself doesn't
seem right).

Thanks in advance for help.