VBScript not recognised in Web page

Dave Thomas

I have developed a web site using asp pages that use both vbscript and
javascript. Run the site on my PC and everything is fine. Ftp to my
web hosting provider which hosts asp pages and look on my site only to
find my vbscript is not recognised. It is treated as pure text so you
see
<% =Request.Form("LoginId") %>. Also see all the vbscript when you
be quicker!
Any ideas if I have missed something obvious or is it down to the host
provider?
An example of my code:
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Option Explicit
%>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Includes/style.css">
</head>
<!--#include File="includes/cache.asp"-->
<!--#include File="Database.asp"-->

Id</strong>

id="LoginId" name="LoginId" value="<% =Request.Form("LoginId") %>">

Evertjan.

Dave Thomas wrote on 06 feb 2004 in
I have developed a web site using asp pages that use both vbscript and
javascript. Run the site on my PC and everything is fine. Ftp to my
web hosting provider which hosts asp pages and look on my site only to
find my vbscript is not recognised. It is treated as pure text so you
see
<% =Request.Form("LoginId") %>. Also see all the vbscript when you
be quicker!

Show us the URL, please.

John Blessing

Dave Thomas said:
[...]

Is your site hosted on a Windows server?

--
John Blessing

businesses
http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !

david Thomas

John,

Site is a Windows Server (oneandone).

Evertjan,

No URL to give as I deleted all my asp pages.

Thanks

Dave

Roland Hall

:
: John,
:
: Site is a Windows Server (oneandone).
:
: Evertjan,
:
: No URL to give as I deleted all my asp pages.
:
: Thanks
:
: Dave

Dave...

Perhaps it is me but asking for help and then removing the test material is
non-productive. This is not a coding question. It is a server question.
If you do not provide a URL, then you're not helping us to help you.

If you're missing this:

<%@ LANGUAGE=VBScript %>

or

<%@ LANGUAGE=JScript %>

or

<%@ LANGUAGE=Javascript %>

or one or all of these:

<% %>

and your code displays, then you'll generally get an error unless you're
just missing <% %> in pairs. If all of your code is displaying it is
because the ASP processor is not processing the data. If your files end
with .asp, and the server supports ASP, then it should work. If not, then
ONLY your host can provide the answer as to why and possibly fix it.

If your host provides *nix and Windows servers, perhaps you are not on a
Windows server. Hosts you generally try to make their money on Linux
servers but also offer Windows servers, generally charge more to host your
site on Windows because they have to pay for the server software and
generally because they would rather host it on Linux and its an incentive to
you to do that, in their opinion.

If you really want help from someone here, removing the code and only
stating that as a response is not going to get you very far.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Chris Barber

Sounds like IIS is not picking up and processing pages with .asp extensions.

Have you made sure your page did indeed have an '.asp' extension?
Are the hosting referring to .aspx as opposed to .asp pages [eg. not
processing .asp]?

Please upload an ASP page with just a simple HTML content in it (no ASP
script etc.) and tell us if you get the formatted HTML or just the text
(should be HTML of course).
Now add a small <%%> section to do something like dimension an variable and
see if that works.

Chris.

[...]

Roland,

Thanks for that. I'll ftp it again this evening. Reason I took it away
is it looked terrible with the vbscript being displayed!
I have included all what you suggested and have phoned oneandone this
afternoon and got the reply "We don't support vbscript Please e-mail
your question to us."!
Url is www.thepredictions.co.uk. If you view the source you will see the
vbscript.
One suggestion I have had from a colleague is to put <script
LANGUAGE="vbscript"> around my vbscript instead of <% and %> but I don't
hold too much hope in that.

All the best

Dave

Chris Barber

From the 1 & 1 website it's probable that you have the Linux hosting as
opposed to the MS (IIS) hosting?

Chris.

Roland,

Thanks for that. I'll ftp it again this evening. Reason I took it away
is it looked terrible with the vbscript being displayed!
I have included all what you suggested and have phoned oneandone this
afternoon and got the reply "We don't support vbscript Please e-mail
your question to us."!
Url is www.thepredictions.co.uk. If you view the source you will see the
vbscript.
One suggestion I have had from a colleague is to put <script
LANGUAGE="vbscript"> around my vbscript instead of <% and %> but I don't
hold too much hope in that.

All the best

Dave

Roland Hall

: Roland,
:
: Thanks for that. I'll ftp it again this evening. Reason I took it away
: is it looked terrible with the vbscript being displayed!
: I have included all what you suggested and have phoned oneandone this
: afternoon and got the reply "We don't support vbscript Please e-mail
: your question to us."!
: Url is www.thepredictions.co.uk. If you view the source you will see the
: vbscript.
: One suggestion I have had from a colleague is to put <script
: LANGUAGE="vbscript"> around my vbscript instead of <% and %> but I don't
: hold too much hope in that.

Dave....

Your right. That won't help. What you need is a Windows server. You
obviously have the Linux hosting and not the Windows hosting. Checking
www.oneandone.co.uk, they offer both.

This is what is running with the link you provided.

HTTP/1.1 403
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:00:19 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

So, your host was correct, they don't support vbscript, ON THAT SERVER,
which is what they should have said and then offered to move you to a
Windows server but apparently you were talking to 1st level support which is
an oxymoron and the person you were talking is probably named Ox E. Moron.
*snicker*

One other thing I noticed: Hosts usually have a pretty quick server because
they do not host others on their main server so it always appears to
response fast when your shopping for a web server. Shared hosting, on a lot
of hosts, is somewhat slow because their site/server ratio is very high.
This main site was slow for me, so I ran a tracert to see where the problem
was.

It jumped from 50ms to 113ms from NY to London. The start of Sprint was
112-116ms and by the time it left Sprint, it was 131ms, probably because it
routed through Paris and some other part of France. When it reached
Schlund.net, I assume in Germany, it was 135ms and pretty much stayed at
135ms to oneandone.co.uk.

Your time may vary but with the 135ms response and the time it took to
render the whole page at their main site, either their code is very sloppy
or the server is getting hit pretty hard. My point is, if the main site is
generally the best response, I'd consider looking around.