VERY newbie question -- kinda long

Mark Nold

Hello All, 1st I am totally new to scriting languages, so bear with me
please. My question is this:

We have "button ads" on our site. Originally those were directed to
the advertisers site by a simple href=http://www.blahblahblah.com.
Now we want to track the "click thurs". So ive learned that its best
to create a script and have the script be called so it creates an
entry in the log file.

Now, I have been able to create a very simple js script using
window.location=. But Im not sure how, in the HTML area to call and
activate this script. Seems to me i would need to use OnMouseClick
somehow, but not sure how, where etc.

Any help in how to accomplish this would be GREATLY apprecieated.

If you want me to share the code format we are currently using and
what i have tried, let me know.

TIA.
Mark Nold

Ivo

We have "button ads" on our site. Originally those were directed to
the advertisers site by a simple href=http://www.blahblahblah.com.
Now we want to track the "click thurs". So ive learned that its best
to create a script and have the script be called so it creates an
entry in the log file.

Now, I have been able to create a very simple js script using
window.location=. But Im not sure how, in the HTML area to call and
activate this script. Seems to me i would need to use OnMouseClick
somehow, but not sure how, where etc.

Any help in how to accomplish this would be GREATLY apprecieated.

If you want me to share the code format we are currently using and
what i have tried, let me know.

That would be helpful, as I don't see how a window.location= would help
straight away. In any case you will a serverside script to record the clicks
in a serverside logfile. That serverside script can then forward to the
final destination *without any javascript*. So if you change the links to be
tracked from
href="http://www.blahblahblah.com"
href="mylogscript.php?url=http://www.blahblahblah.com"
then mylogscript.php will be able to