very odd interaction between server and browsers

Chris W

I have this javascript that works fine in Firefox and IE when viewed
from my window or Linux development servers. However when I upload it
to the clients server it only works in Firefox. The only difference is
the server the files are on. In every test I am using the same version
of Firefox and IE on the same machine. The Script in question is from
this site....

http://www.unverse.net/whizzywig-cross-browser-html-editor.html

Anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

VK

Chris said:
I have this javascript that works fine in Firefox and IE when viewed
from my window or Linux development servers. However when I upload it
to the clients server it only works in Firefox. The only difference is
the server the files are on. In every test I am using the same version
of Firefox and IE on the same machine. The Script in question is from
this site....

http://www.unverse.net/whizzywig-cross-browser-html-editor.html

Could you explain more about "doesn't work" for IE. I open it in IE 6.0
w/o any visible error (JScript Debugger is silent). Is it some
particular feature to look at?

Chris W

VK said:
Chris W wrote:

Could you explain more about "doesn't work" for IE. I open it in IE 6.0
w/o any visible error (JScript Debugger is silent). Is it some
particular feature to look at?
Sorry I should have said that. In IE when the page is being served from
one and only one of the 3 servers I have put the page on, it shows as a
simple text area.

--

Chris said:
Sorry I should have said that. In IE when the page is being served from
one and only one of the 3 servers I have put the page on, it shows as a
simple text area.

When it must be not *that* server in my case :)

<http://www.unverse.net/wysiwyg.html> in both FF 1.5.0.1 and IE 6.0
displays properly (as much as I can see and tell on the first look).

Chris W

VK said:
Chris W wrote:

When it must be not *that* server in my case :)

<http://www.unverse.net/wysiwyg.html> in both FF 1.5.0.1 and IE 6.0
displays properly (as much as I can see and tell on the first look).
yeah it works fine on my two testing servers too.... it is my clients
server that it doesn't work right from but only in IE. If it didn't
work in either IE or Firefox I would think I had missed some files or
something on the upload but it works in FF and not in IE, I double
checked, all the files are there. I am meeting with the client tonight
and will tell them they need to look into it, since it seems to be a
problem with the server only.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Chris said:
yeah it works fine on my two testing servers too.... it is my clients
server that it doesn't work right from but only in IE. If it didn't
work in either IE or Firefox I would think I had missed some files or
something on the upload but it works in FF and not in IE, I double
checked, all the files are there. I am meeting with the client tonight
and will tell them they need to look into it, since it seems to be a
problem with the server only.

I have reviewed your (and John Goodman's) code. (Is your John Goodman
somehow related to Danny Goodman? The code is just as bad.) You could
start attacking the problem by using Valid markup (among other errors,
the `textarea' element must not contain any other elements), then
continue with avoiding nonsensical browser detection, such as

,-<URL:http://www.unverse.net/whizzery/whizzywig.js>

| [...]
| if ((navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Safari') != - 1)
| || !document.getElementById || !document.designMode)
| {
| //no designMode
| alert("Whizzywig " + t("editor not available for your browser"));
| return;
| }

and nonsensical testing, such as

| if (document.frames)
| {
| //IE
| oWhizzy = frames['whizzyWig'];
| }

and calling document.write() (through the user-defined w() method) only
once, while you concatenate the resulting string, because writing only
incomplete parts of HTML markup (which is therefore not Valid as-is) is
well-known to be error-prone.

HTH

PointedEars