    refusing to let me access it.

    1. where is it? Presumably somewhere in C:\Users\myaccount

    2. how do I back it up, edit it etc. ?

    Roedy Green, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    ..keystore is in C:\Users\myaccount\.keystore. It appears to have no
    unusual attributes, but it does not show up in directory listings. I
    was able to find it with Mitch Gallant's Keystore viewer..

    When I try to copy it in a DOS box, I get "access denied". I am
    running as an administrator.

    IBM's KEYMAN can't seem to open it either.

    Perhaps the problem comes with form adding the concept of owner to
    Vista files.

    Roedy Green, Mar 12, 2007

  3. My consolations on the OS there.

    One of the main problems that you will find is that the more tech savvy seem
    to be the least likely to upgrade first (with, obviously some exceptions) as
    there has been a great deal of bad press surrounding Vista in many eclectic
    tech forums.

    I know my 90 minutes with the OS angered me past any reasonable theshold.

    Luc The Perverse, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    The main irritation has been the way it hides files and denies access.
    The other big complaint is the huge memory footprint, without doing
    anything extra.

    There are a few nice things. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/windowsvista.html

    There are some bugs:
    1. LAN connections drop mysteriously
    2. you can't log on in both directions in peer to peer LAN.
    3. backgrounds for progress bars turn into a row of chicklets
    4. the DOS box goes black on black.

    It drives you nuts with very slow warning dialogs before anything that
    could be considered configuration, e.g. setting an environment
    variable.

    I am trying to figure out what the MS people were doing all that time.
    The main thing seems to be to disable the right click object-oriented
    way of working.

    Roedy Green, Mar 12, 2007
  5. That is no minor bug!
    Oh good - they are turning it into a mac.

    I spent 10 minutes looking for a menu bar. Found out I have to use the
    keyboard to activate it. Thanks Bill.

    It seemed to completely ignore the open each folder in a new explorer
    window. Even holding Control Alt or Shift (I tried every combination)
    would not allow me to open a new window. I am forced to use the stupid back
    and forward buttons (they weren't even nice enough to include and up tree
    navigation button. I am now forced to do the ridiculous cut and paste file
    operations.

    I wrote a three page blog on what I could see from 90 minutes of using the
    POS that made me want to kill myself (not literally)

    Any OS that denies you complete access to your own files is downright
    offensive.

    I wonder if anyone has succeeded in getting a windows XP interface working.
    It is the modifications to windows explorer that I find most offensive.

    The most annoying part is that Bill Gates knows his OS is a piece of crap.
    That is why he is forcing it down everyone's throats so quickly. OEMs are
    being theatened with loss of kickbacks if they don't switch all new consumer
    lines immediately to Vista. Offering Windows XP is a punishable offense.
    Why? Because the less tech savvy need to have it installed on their
    computers before they hear that it is a bad thing. If they hear it is bad,
    they will get windows XP and then possibly never upgrade.

    Luc The Perverse, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    it is C:\Users\myaccount. You can get at it, but only if you start
    with the myaccount entry in the start menu. They you can copy/paste
    it.

    Roedy Green, Mar 12, 2007
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    it happens after an error message, not all the time. :)

    TweakDun does not run. Vista complains it uses obsolete Visual Basic.

    It seems to problem is the complexity has got so big humans simply
    cannot manage it.

    I see two ways out:

    1. artificial intelligence to manage the detail and to enforce the
    consistency. It could then compose every user a custom OS with just
    what they needed and only gradually introduce features to them.
    Much of what makes an OS confusing are features you are not currently
    using. It turns everything into a needle in a haystack problem.

    2. greater compartmentalisation. Device drivers run in the device
    hardware or in their own virtual micro-machine. Keyboard drivers
    handle all command combos as well so they are consistent across apps,
    and can assigned to specialized keyboard hardware in a uniform way.
    Apps run in air tight boxes. They can access only their own data files
    by default. Code updates are handled in a uniform way, with
    guaranteed rollback and data export. see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/darkroom.html

    Roedy Green, Mar 13, 2007
  8. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Apple does a delightful spoof of the new windows Vista "security"
    system that just keeps asking "Are you sure you wanted to do that?"
    before every innocuous operation, in there fat guy/cool guy ad series.

    Roedy Green, Mar 13, 2007