Visual Studio 2008

JJ

I see the new software is 'RTM' but what does that mean in terms of when we
can actually purchase it?

Thanks,
JJ

Rory Becker

I see the new software is 'RTM' but what does that mean in terms of
when we can actually purchase it?

MSDN subscribers can download now

Others can have access to a trial now.

I have heard that it will be available to general retail by about Jan

The trial edition lasts 90 days though so you could reasonably use that until
the retail version was available.

I am not sure if you can upgrade from a Trial to another edition. It might
require that you manually uninstall the trial and then install a full edition.

But either way this gives most people a good way forward.

The express editions are another alternative.

JJ

Do you know if Visual Studio Professional 2008 has any advantages over
Visual Web Developer Express if you are just using Visual Studio for web
development?

And can you develop .net framework 2.0 site with VS 2008?

Do many hosts now support .net 3.5? I'm concerned about jumping into this
too early and finding I can't use some hosts?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks,
JJ

JJ

For instance, is it only professional that includes sql server?

I can't find a product comparison page for the different editions which
seems odd?!

JJ said:
Do you know if Visual Studio Professional 2008 has any advantages over
Visual Web Developer Express if you are just using Visual Studio for web
development?

And can you develop .net framework 2.0 site with VS 2008?

Do many hosts now support .net 3.5? I'm concerned about jumping into this
too early and finding I can't use some hosts?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks,
JJ

Leon Mayne

JJ said:
For instance, is it only professional that includes sql server?

I can't find a product comparison page for the different editions which
seems odd?!

The express editions are for learning and hobbyists. You can connect to a
SQL Express database using the express editions, but not any other SQL
Server edition.

Leon Mayne

JJ said:
Do you know if Visual Studio Professional 2008 has any advantages over
Visual Web Developer Express if you are just using Visual Studio for web
development?

Any 'advanced' features are missing from the express edition. If you are
just creating a simple website by yourself using SQL Express then you can
stick with the express edition.
And can you develop .net framework 2.0 site with VS 2008?

Yes, you can now pick which framework version you want to create a project
against
Do many hosts now support .net 3.5? I'm concerned about jumping into this
too early and finding I can't use some hosts?

Probably not yet, but I guess they'll install it soon to keep up to date

Rory Becker

Do you know if Visual Studio Professional 2008 has any advantages over
Visual Web Developer Express if you are just using Visual Studio for
web development?

I really don't know but I'd guess there has to be. I have VS2008 Pro through
subscription and so have not paid much attention to the Express skus
And can you develop .net framework 2.0 site with VS 2008?

Very specifically YES! you can. New feature multitargetting allows targetting
2.0, 3.0 or 3.5
Do many hosts now support .net 3.5? I'm concerned about jumping into
this too early and finding I can't use some hosts?

Well .Net framework waqs releasedon the 19th so only those who are really
quick off the mark will be offering it just yet :)

JJ

Really? So I cannot connect to my SQL Server 2005 developer edition with
Visual Studio 2008 Web Express?

Leon Mayne

JJ said:
Really? So I cannot connect to my SQL Server 2005 developer edition with
Visual Studio 2008 Web Express?

I don't think so, unless this has changed in 2008.

JJ

Its difficult to know what 'advanced' means here. I certainly want to
connect to sql 2005 (or later) databases as a minimum.
I also want to target an individual framework - not sure if that is possible
in the express edition either

I am not sure what features are missing from the express edition (regarding
web sites), due to lack of information on the microsoft site. A simple table
of comparitive features would be useful !!

Mark Rae [MVP]

Really? So I cannot connect to my SQL Server 2005 developer edition with
Visual Studio 2008 Web Express?

No - VWDE can connect to any version of SQL Server...

JJ

Thanks - do you know what other features are missing in the express editions
regarding web development?

Mark Rae [MVP]

Thanks - do you know what other features are missing in the express
editions regarding web development?

No, sorry - I've never had any occasion to use it...

Leon Mayne

JJ said:
Its difficult to know what 'advanced' means here. I certainly want to
connect to sql 2005 (or later) databases as a minimum.
I also want to target an individual framework - not sure if that is
possible in the express edition either

I am not sure what features are missing from the express edition
(regarding web sites), due to lack of information on the microsoft site. A
simple table of comparitive features would be useful !!

Found this, but it refers to the 2005 express edition:

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx

JJ

Thanks. Well, deployment projects are a must to deploy as dll and embed
resources, as is creating a solution with class libraries.

So I guess I'll have to wait until VS 2008 Pro becomes available. I wonder
what the upgrade cost will be and if the upgrade will disable my VS 2005
install.....

Hopefully miscrosoft will update their Visual Studio pages to give this sort
of basic information prior to the release to the public (i.e. non msdn
users)(!)

Rory Becker

So I guess I'll have to wait until VS 2008 Pro becomes available. I
wonder what the upgrade cost will be and if the upgrade will disable
my VS 2005 install.....

VS2008 should not change VS2005 in any way. With 1 minor exception.
VS2008 installs the .Net framework 3.5 which includes sp1 of .Net 2.0 framework
and therefore there may be minor internal changes to the copy of .Net 2.0
which will reside on the box.

This means you should make sure that any 2.0 apps you distribute check the
sp status of the destination machine and install sp1 of .Net 2.0 at a minimum
for maximum compatability.

Leon Mayne

JJ said:
Thanks. Well, deployment projects are a must to deploy as dll and embed
resources, as is creating a solution with class libraries.

So I guess I'll have to wait until VS 2008 Pro becomes available. I wonder
what the upgrade cost will be and if the upgrade will disable my VS 2005
install.....

The best way to get Visual Studio is through an MSDN subscription anyway. If
you buy a Visual Studio Professional with MSDN Professional subscription for
about $1,100 then you can get Visual Studio 2008 Pro now, as well as all the
other programs that come with the subscription:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/vstudio/aa718657.aspx