Visual Studio 2008 not generating my *.designer.vb files

Nathan Sokalski

I have several *.aspx files and Visual Studio 2008 won't generate the
*.designer.vb files for them. This is one of the most annoying bugs in
Visual Studio 2008 that I know of, because it forces you to check manually
when you recieve compile errors or IntelliSense isn't displaying something.
The only workaround I know of is to manually fix the *.designer.vb file
until Visual Studio 2008 decides to regenerate it. Yes, I know the
*.designer.vb file is not intended to be edited manually, but what other
choice do I have? I would like to have a command that says "Please
regenerate my *.designer.vb files" so that I could force Visual Studio 2008
to regenerate these files, but to the best of my knowledge this does not
exist. Does anybody know of a better workaround? Also, does anybody know if
Visual Studio 2010 will have this command (if not, I would like to suggest
it)? Thanks.

bruce barker

you could switch to the web site model which doesn't use the designer
file hacks.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)