Visual Studio 6 on Win XP ...?

Adam Sawyer

Hi I'm having trouble getting Visual Studio 6 Enterprise (C++) to work on my
Win XP Pro (SP 1 - latest .NET framework). Whenever I try to compile a C
program, it just hangs, cancel build doesn't work, and I have to run Task
Manager to exit C++. I haven't installed any service packs for Visual
Studio, thinking I wouldn't need them until I started programming more
heavily. On the installation it mentioned debug symbols for Win NT, which I
wasn't sure if I needed or not, so I ran it, but it wouldn't install
properly saying files were missing off the CD, and there was an incompatible
system file (DLL ?) on the computer. Do I need these debug symbols for XP ?
I tried removing memory resident programs to see if it would help, but it
made no difference.
I'm unsure if there's compatibility issues between VS 6 (Ent) and XP (Pro),
so I'm calling on your experience to help me resolve this frustrating issue.
I haven't tried visual basic or any other part of visual studio yet, and
when I installed, I did full install minus FoxPro and SourceSafe.
Please help
thanks
Adam

Paul Thompson

Adam Sawyer said:
[...]

I run VS6sp5 (VC, VB and SourceSafe), VS.Net 2002 (full) and VS.Net 2003
(full) on a WinXP Pro sp1 machine and it all runs fine. I would suspect
that the messages you got whilst installing may be relevant (outside chance
of a dirty or scratched CD-ROM?).

Your best bet is to ask in a Visual Studio newsgroup on the Microsoft public
news server.

Paul