Visual Studio hangs while debugging. Please help!

Martin Odhelius

Hello,

I have a very fustrating problems while debugging ASP.NET applications.
When I am debugging and stepping thru code (with F10 or F11) Visual
Studio some times suddenly just stop responding and the only way get it
up and running again is to kill the aspnet_wp.exe process. When the
debugger hangs there is almost no CPU load, so it doesn't seem to be any
hidden eternal loop or anything like that. I have tried to reinstall IIS
and .NET Framework, and before that I have also run aspnet_regiis
several times but without luck. The code is compiled for .NET 1.1 and
the Web Site is configured to run under framework v1.1.4322. This
behaviour happens in several different projects, so it is not bound to
any specific code. I have just choosen to debug CLR-code. I have no
active watches that is slowing down the debugging. I've also tried to
debug in both VS2003 as well as in VS2005 (by attaching to the
aspnet_wp.exe process) but I get the same result, even if it semms to
happen much less often in VS2005. And btw, I have no antivirus programs
installed. I'm going crazy on this, please help!

Best Regards
Martin

Vadym Stetsyak

There can be a lot if reasons why this is happening:
- great number of old brakepoints in the code
- script debuging enabled
- exceptions in other modules

What you can do is:
- check breakepoints
- disable script debugging
- turn on CLR exceptions handling in order to see if the code runs without
exception
- watch in the output window, what modules are loaded and what exceptions
are being thrown...

Martin Odhelius

Thank you for your reply!
I've cleared all breakpoints and often has only one or two breakpoints
when this happens, script debugging is disabled, I only debugg CLR-code.
There is no other exceptions thrown in any other module.
I can also say that this is only happening on my computer, when we run
the same projects on other developers machines we do not experience this
problem. And as I said befor, it happens in several different projects
so it doesn't seems to be related to any specific code.

Best regards
Martin

Vadym Stetsyak

You mean that in some projects debugger hangs & in some doesn't? What are
the projects is there smth special with em?

If this is so, maybe total rebuild of your assembly dependacies will help?

Martin Odhelius

On my computer I have this problem on all aspnet projects. I have about
10 different solutions not attached to eachother and the same problems
in all of them. I have had this problem for several months now.
Rebuilding doesn't help. We do not have this problem on other computers
though, just on mine... I'm not eager to reinstall the whole OS but as
it seems now that is the only option I have... :(

Guest

Hi Martin,

Please check my post on a similar issue and the reply with a link to a
hotfix. You may try it. It fixes the freezes if you are in a C# environment
(according to the documentation).

Martin Odhelius

Thank you for the reply! But it doesn't seem to be the same bug, cause
when this is happening for me the CPU load is close to zero and it also
happens in both VS2003 aswell as in VS2005.

adv

Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

did you find any solution to this issue?
I'm experimenting the same problem: Visual Studio 2008 hangs while debugging.

When this happens I have to:
- close the application
- wait several seconds before Visual Studio 2008 awakes and I can interact with it

It seems to be specific to my PC (same solution on other PC debugs fine).
Visual Studio 2008 is configured to disable most of the Debug options...
CPU usage is low...

Thanks!