Volunteer -- Java/XML for Open Source Public Voting Project

dechert

Please get in touch with me if you are interested in helping.

Alan Dechert
(e-mail address removed)
http://openvoting.org

See www.openvotingsolutions.com and demos are at
www.openvotingsolutions.info.

The demos are set up so that you can see the underlying page source.
We are working on the third demo right now (New York) and it will be
ready within a few weeks. The code in progress or in transition or
untested has not yet been posted. We welcome volunteer assistance. We
greatly appreciate the contributions of the open source community, and
all of the code done by volunteers will be issued under GPL and made
available from emlvoting.org.

~kurt

Alan Dechert
(e-mail address removed)
http://openvoting.org

I'd be much more interested in seeing a move back to paper ballots.
I don't see what was wrong with the scan cards many states used. They
were pretty much foolproof (just because FL used a stupid system doesn't
mean they were all bad). And the best part is you only needed one
or two readers per voting area. This made things cheap. It also resulted
in no lines at the polling places because use of the reader only required
a few seconds.

- Kurt

Roedy Green

I'd be much more interested in seeing a move back to paper ballots.

That's how we do things in Canada. With our system them election is
over in a few hours. I think the key is smaller polling stations.

However, in the USA you also have votes on initiatives with multiple
options. Further you may have neighbourhoods requiring ballots in a
great many languages.

So electronic, with paper trail, with all kinds of auditing and cross
checks. 99% of the effort goes into blocking various forms of
cheating, which can occur in the consolidation of results as well as
at the individual ballot level.

What is going on now is utterly outrageous -- no audit, not
examination of the software, nothing to stop fiddling the software or
the results -- all depends on trusting a company.

Chuck Hagel, Republican politician ran one.
One in run by Christian Identity people, religious fanatics dedicated
to the destruction of democracy and replacing it with a Christian
theocracy -- hardly people without an agenda.

~kurt

Roedy Green said:
options. Further you may have neighbourhoods requiring ballots in a
great many languages.

I'd really hope the only option for voting was in english....

- Kurt

John W. Kennedy

Roedy said:
Chuck Hagel, Republican politician ran one.
One in run by Christian Identity people, religious fanatics dedicated
to the destruction of democracy and replacing it with a Christian
theocracy -- hardly people without an agenda.

The so-called "Christian Identity" people have no connection with
Christianity beyond an attempt to squat on Christianity's brand name
while using it to sell outright neo-Nazism. (Historically, they spun off
from the "British Israelite" cult.)

Not that we don't also have would-be theocrats who adhere to various
cults vaguely resembling Christianity. But the "Christian Identity"
people are something much worse.