VS 2003 Cannot Create Web Applications

Paul J. Lay

My VS 2003 installation was working perfectly for months until I installed a
Rational Java Development System on my machine. I did this to look at the
modeling support only. However, after successfully installing the Rational
System, I immediately noticed that I was unable to create any web service or
webform projects. I've seen this before several times and I was always able
to recover by repairing VS 2003. I first uninstalled the Rational System
and then I repaired VS 2003. That didn't work. Next I uninstalled VS2003
and reinstalled it. That didn't work either. I next tried running the .NET
Framework utility aspnet_regiis /i. That didn't work either. I got an HTTP
1.1 500 Internal Sever Error. I am running this on a Win 2K Professional
Platform with SP4. I am sure if I reformated my disk and reinstalled
everything, I wouldn't have this problem but I don't have that luxury. Any
ideas on how I should proceed from here? Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Paul J. Lay

Martin Dechev

Hi, Paul J. Lay,

Only a guess:

Uninstall everything - VS, .NET Framework, IIS. Delete the users and
groups - IWAM, IUSR, ASPNET, ACTUser, VUSR, the VS Developers group. Leave
only Guest and Administrator users and the built-in groups.

Then install IIS, then install VS - it will install the Framework from the
Prerequisites CD.

Hope this helps
Martin

Paul J. Lay

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Martin Dechev said:
Hi, Paul J. Lay,

Only a guess:

Uninstall everything - VS, .NET Framework, IIS. Delete the users and
groups - IWAM, IUSR, ASPNET, ACTUser, VUSR, the VS Developers group. Leave
only Guest and Administrator users and the built-in groups.

Then install IIS, then install VS - it will install the Framework from the
Prerequisites CD.

Hope this helps
Martin
installed service

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Martin's informative suggestions.

Hi Paul,

Based on my experience, I suspect the problem is mainly focus on the IIS.
Since you mentioned that you installed the rational java sytem, would you
have a check to see have the JavaSytem contains any Rational's own web
development enviroment such as its own webserver or application server.
I've met such problems before such as when install he IBM's websphere and
httpServer which blocks the IIS server which make the VS.NET unable to
create web projects. So I think to can have a check to see whether the
IIS's service is worked well or be blocked or some thingelse is wrong
before uninstall.

Hope these also help. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got your problem resolved? If you have any problems or if there're
anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Guest

I have the same problem and I didn't install Rational Java Development System on my machine.

The only thing I installed is security update for windows XP KB840374

Any Idea