VS 2005, VSS, and the Bin folder

Guest

I just created my first VS 2005 web application. All was going good until I
tried to add it to SourceSafe. When I added the project it also included the
bin folder. I did some research and I found out that this should have been
fixed after the VS 2005 Beta 2 release. I am running VS Version 8.05727.42
(a post beta 2 release).

I also tried to right click on the individual files in the bin folder and
click Exclude from project. This simply renames file x.dll to x.dll.exclude.
Then the next time that I build the project x.dll is recreated. Once it is
recreated if I check the whole project back into VSS the new x.dll will be
added.

Any ideas? I know that there is a VSS 2005 that has been released. I am
currently running 6.0a. Am I just a couple of versions behind and my VSS
version is just not compatible with VS 2005?

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or ideas.

Gabriel Magaña

The VS team has really fudged this up... The cannot seem to duplicate the
problem... Or they have been able to, but they claim they have not because
of who knows what reason... I think releasing patches hurts their ego
perhaps...

Anyway, there are a couple work arounds, the most convinient (it seems) is
to mark the /bin folder as hidden, just be careful not to mark the files
contained in it hidden also... This works great for me for file-based web
projects, but on the one project I have as IIS-based, the workaround doe
snot seem to work.

HTH

Guest

Thanks for the info Gabriel. I voted on the bug as you suggested. Hopefully
they will start to look into this.

Like you I have an IIS based project run from http://localhost. And you are
correct your work around does not work for this type of project. So am I
correct to assume that you simply make a conscious effort not to check in the
files in the bin folder?

Gabriel Magana

PCK said:
Thanks for the info Gabriel. I voted on the bug as you suggested.
Hopefully
they will start to look into this.

Like you I have an IIS based project run from http://localhost. And you
are
correct your work around does not work for this type of project. So am I
correct to assume that you simply make a conscious effort not to check in
the
files in the bin folder?

Yes, pretty much... Keep deleting any files in the /bin from source control
when they do get in (normally it's a good thing to check in everything at
the end of the day!). There is another work around for VSS, which you might
want to try:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/ViewWorkaround.aspx?FeedbackID=FDBK16721#1