VS 2005 with VSS 6.0

Mike

I'm working on a web application with several other developers and we're
using Visual Source Safe 6.0 and VS 2005 IDE, and I noticed that more then
one person can check out and modify a file even though it states its checked
out by someone else. Back when I was using VS 2003, and VSS 6.0 I wasn't
able to check out a file if it was checked out by someone else, I was able
to copy it locally and use it, but with VS 2005, I can check out files make
my changes and check it back into SourceSafe. Is this a known issue or
normal and I just now noticed is after 10 years of developing and using VSS?

Mark Rae [MVP]

I'm working on a web application with several other developers and we're
using Visual Source Safe 6.0 and VS 2005 IDE, and I noticed that more then
one person can check out and modify a file even though it states its
checked out by someone else. Back when I was using VS 2003, and VSS 6.0 I
wasn't able to check out a file if it was checked out by someone else, I
was able to copy it locally and use it, but with VS 2005, I can check out
files make my changes and check it back into SourceSafe. Is this a known
issue or normal and I just now noticed is after 10 years of developing and
using VSS?

VSS 6.0d really is dead and gone now, and simply doesn't work properly with
Visual Studio.NET 2005.

Added to that, mainstream support for VSS 6.0d officially ended,
coincidentally, two days ago:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=SourceSafe&Filter=FilterNO

So, unless you have purchased an Extended Support Contract (which I'm
guessing you haven't - nobody ever does because of the costs involved!),
you're running your development source control on totally unsupported
software... Is your boss aware of that...? Again, I'm guessing he/she
isn't - they never are!

Do yourself a *huge* favour and upgrade to VSS 2005 - all the above issues
will disappear...