VS2003 after VS2008

John

Hi

I have VS2008 installed. I now need VS2003 to open and old project. Is it OK
to install VS2003 when VS2008 is already installed on the machine?

Thanks

Regards

Miha Markic

I don't think there is a definite answer. Perhaps you should run VS2003 in a
virtual guest OS (VMWare Workstation or something) just to be on the safe
side.

sloan

The issue I've run into is having to rerun the
asp_regiiis.exe -i
FROM THE LATEST FRAMEWORK directory.

VS2003 will make 1.1 the default asp.net version under IIS.

You have to "remind" your computer that you have 2.0 or 3.5.

Do a search for the file asp_regiiis.exe in your c:\windows\ directory. And
use the "latest and greatest version".

Michel Posseth [MCP]

Is it OK
to install VS2003 when VS2008 is already installed on the machine?

my answer would be NO

You install first the old version and then the new version , if you do it
the other way around you sure are gonna break something somewhere somehow
someday :)
So to be on the safe side i would follow Miha`s solution , or start from
scratch and do it the "right" way.

By the way i did my own recomendation from 2002 to 2003 and from 2003 to
2005 and from 2005 to 2008 without anny problems noticed
please note that this was on 3 different systems as my development systems
are replaced every 2 years.

HTH

Michel Posseth

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#, INETA Country Leader for Slovenia]
RightHand .NET consulting & development www.rthand.com

John said:
Hi

I have VS2008 installed. I now need VS2003 to open and old project. Is it
OK to install VS2003 when VS2008 is already installed on the machine?

Thanks

Regards

Alex O.

I have done it in the most unnatural way :), but to my surprise did not run
into any problems:

1.Initially I had just VS2008 SP1 on my box and happily used it for .NET 3.5
development.
2.Then I installed VC++ 6.0 SP6 to support some legacy Win32/MFC projects
3.Then I had to install VS2005 to work on an older .NET 2.0 project
4.Then I installed VS2003.NET to work on even older .NET 1.1 project
5.Finally I needed to install eVC4 SP4 for CE 4.2 embedded development

My God, I am moving backwards in time!!!

The only hiccup that I noticed was after installing VS2003.NET - it took
over as the default program for the Visual Studio solution files, so I had to
manually restore the VS2008 file associations (in VS2008
Tools->Options->Environment->General, "Restore File Associations" button).

Hope, this helps.

Alex