vs2005 b2 prob - CSS just stopped working!

Guest

Hi guys

I've just started having a play with VS2005 again ready for the switchover.
I created a master page, and a content page - all fine.

I then created a CSS file and linked it to my master page by just dragging
across into the code window. WOrked perfectly. I carried on making tweaks,
and adding various things, and the all of a sudden when I went to "View in
Browser" - no CSS! At all. The link is there if I view source on the web
page, but nothing shows.

I've changed the CSS, ive taken the link out, added it back, created another
CSS. I can't get anything to show.

What's going on?!!?

Cheers

Dan

Jason Kester

dhnriverside said:
I then created a CSS file and linked it to my master page by just dragging
across into the code window.

Yeah, quit doing that. Write your code by hand and you won't have to
rely on anything being automagically hooked up. You'll also never have
to panic when the magic stops working.

- Copy out the full url for the .css include.
- Paste it into a browser window.
- Note that it comes back 404.
- Figure out where the file actually lives on your server
- Hook it back up by hand.
- Never "Drag" anything onto a page again.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Guest

heh, switched on this morning and everything works fine :)

thanks though. tell u what ill b major peeved if vs2k5 starts doing the
random delete of code and odd stuff. i complained like hell to ms and they
just said "yeah, it'll be fixed in 2k5, stop using the designer." - not what
u want when youve just spent 400quid....!

Danny Tuppeny

Jason Kester said:
Yeah, quit doing that. Write your code by hand and you won't have to
rely on anything being automagically hooked up. You'll also never have
to panic when the magic stops working.

LOL!!

Should we quit dragging buttons from the toolbox and double-clicking them to
add even handlers too? ;o)

The magic is there - use it! :)
- Figure out where the file actually lives on your server
- Hook it back up by hand.
- Never "Drag" anything onto a page again.

You can also put CSS files in an App_Themes/[ThemeName] folder, and they're
automagically added to the headers of all pages. You can set which theme is
used in web.config, and even let the user change it on the fly :)

Guest

interesting... can i do that just by putting css in the appthemes directory?
or is there something else you have to do?