VS2008 .NET 3.5 AJAX ContentTemplate display width w/master page

JM_newsgroups

In VS Studio, the ContentTemplate within the UpdatePanel insists on
rendering as a smallish box. Anything I put inside wraps to the
boundaries of this box, and I can't get any feel for what my page will
look like. I think this is related to a DIV problem, but I've set all
DIVs I can find to "width:100%", and I still have this annoying small
box. I was able to grab it once and drag, but then it said the height
of some DIV to something I didn't want and the width to 537%. I would
appreciate any ideas. When I test the page in a regular browser, it
looks fine. I'm also using a Master Page. I'm kind of sick of the VS
Studio designer having problems with images, CSS, and display in
general. I had hoped VS 2008 would have cleaned up a lot of those
issues. Thank you.

JM_newsgroups

In VS Studio, the ContentTemplate within the UpdatePanel insists on
rendering as a smallish box. Anything I put inside wraps to the
boundaries of this box, and I can't get any feel for what my page will
look like. I think this is related to a DIV problem, but I've set all
DIVs I can find to "width:100%", and I still have this annoying small
box. I was able to grab it once and drag, but then it said the height
of some DIV to something I didn't want and the width to 537%. I would
appreciate any ideas. When I test the page in a regular browser, it
looks fine. I'm also using a Master Page. I'm kind of sick of the VS
Studio designer having problems with images, CSS, and display in
general. I had hoped VS 2008 would have cleaned up a lot of those
issues. Thank you.

I got it to clear up like this:

Master page:

<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
</asp:ScriptManager>
<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
runat="server">
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>
</form>

Child page:

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
runat="Server">
</asp:Content>

I still hate how the master page recognizes the CSS/Images in design
view "sometimes" but not always. I guess I'll put up with it as long
as the result in the browser looks right.