web.config inheritance

gerry

Is there any way to prevent web.config inheritance in nested web
applications ?

Here is the scenario, a 3rd party asp.net web application installed on an
asp.net intranet site :
http://intranet.company.org
http://intranet.company.org/3rdPartApp
both are configured as applications in IIS.
the subapp is not physcially installed beneath root app

Problems :
- the 3rd party app is completely unrelated ( functionally ) to the root
app and should never inherit any configuration settings but of course it
does.
- app relative items in the root web.config cause errors in the sub app
because of course they are app relative and the sub app can't find them -
ie. HttpHandlers
- successful installation of the 3rdparty app requires manual modification
of the web.config file to negate any problems caused by the root web.config
file

I thought that one solution might be to wrap the entire root app web.config
contents in a location tag to restrict it to just the root app - but I don't
see anyway to get this to work, location seems to only work for restricting
sub-app config with no way to restrict config to just the root app.

Gerry

Juan T. Llibre

Only if you've associated your login credentials with MSDN.

Have you ?

Although anyone can view or post to these groups, in order to ensure you a response
within two business days, you must post using a no-spam alias registered on the
MSDN Subscriber Downloads site.

In order to register a no-spam alias, you must log into the MSDN Subscriber Downloads
site and select the register "here" link located on the What's Hot page under the headline
Get Unlimited Free PSS Support for Technical Issues!.

gerry

Hi ,
in fact i did check to see that my posting id was set up correctly - and it
was.
however i did notice is that the valid domains that can be used has been
reduced to a fairly small set ( 5 i think ) where it used to be open to any
domain.
I created a new id based on this new domain list and reposted my questions
et viola - responses appeared.
Gerry