Web Forms tools not available ?

Guest

Hello -
I added a new web page (.ascx) to my project and for some reason the Web
Forms section of the toolbox is totally disabled. The HTML toolbox section is
enabled and available. I looked at some of the other .ascx pages in my
project and when I have them open, I can select tools from the Web Forms
section.

I am very new to asp.net. I checked the property page on the new page and
compared it to an existing one, and they appear very similar.

Is there some setting I can check or set?

thanks
- will

Guest

dw,
".ascx" isn't a web page, its a user control. WebForms have the ".asxp"
extension.
Peter

Guest

Thanks for the clarification. As I stated in my message, I am very new to
asp.net.
Okay...so now I will restate my message so as not to anger the MVPs in this
forum.

I have a user control (.ascx) and when I edit the user control in design
mode, the Web Forms toolbox is totally disabled. The Web Forms toolbox is
enabled when I edit other user controls and actually was working a few days
ago with this particular user control. Now, the web forms toolbox is not
available.

If anyone can help me that would be nice.

Guest

dw,
I don't think you made anybody mad, just trying to strive for clarity so we
are all reading off the same code window.
I don't know a specific solution. There are a number of tricks you can try:
1) exclude the ascx from the solution with a rightclick, close the Soln,
then reopen it and bring the ascx back into the soln.
2) create a brand new ascx and copy the markup and the codebehind from the
errrant one
3) Reset all your settings in Visual Studio and delete all the "junk" in

(X):\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0

Hope that helps.
Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

Guest

peter -

thanks, the first suggestion worked great. i can know use the web forms
toolbox.

and, good point about making sure we are all on the same page.

- will