Webclient or HTTPWebrequest post with file and form elements

Natalia

Hello,

I need to provide the ability to post file and some form elements via
our website (asp.net) to the third party website (asp page). On
http://aspalliance.com/236#Page4 - I found great advices but still
having troubles... it might some obvious error that I am making but I
just dont see it.

==================FIRST - Webclient=================================
RESULT: Exception : ProtocolError (server 500 error)
Dim url as String = "http://www.site2post.com"
Dim q As New System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection
q.Add("id", "123456789")
q.Add("merchant_pin", "987654321")

Dim wc As New System.Net.WebClient
wc.Headers.Add("Content-Type",
"application/x-www-form-urlencoded")
wc.QueryString = q

Dim responseArray As Byte() = wc.UploadFile(url, "POST",
"C:\folder\file.txt")
If responseArray.Length > 0 Then
resultString &=
System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString(responseArray).ToString
Else
resultString &= "No response"
End If

=============SECOND- HTTPWebREQUEST ===========================
RESULT: can pass variables but can not pass the file.

Dim url as String =
"http://www.site2post.com?id=123456789&merchant_pin=987654321"
Dim strFileToUse As String = "C:\folder\file.txt"
Dim st As New FileStream(strFileToUse, FileMode.Open)
Dim Tem() As Byte
ReDim Tem(st.Length)
st.Read(Tem, 0, st.Length)
st.Close()

Dim req As System.Net.HttpWebRequest
req = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(url)
'--set the standard header information
req.ProtocolVersion = HttpVersion.Version11

req.Method = "POST"
req.Accept = "*/*"
req.UserAgent = "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)"
req.ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
'req.AllowAutoRedirect = False
req.ContentLength = Tem.Length
'--set additional header information
req.Headers.Add("id", "123456789")
req.Headers.Add("merchant_pin", "987654321")

' Perform the request
Dim requestStream As Stream = req.GetRequestStream()
requestStream.Write(Tem, 0, Tem.Length)
requestStream.Close()

'read in the page
Dim res As System.Net.HttpWebResponse
res = req.GetResponse()
If req.HaveResponse Then
Dim sr As System.IO.StreamReader
sr = New
System.IO.StreamReader(res.GetResponseStream())
resultString = sr.ReadToEnd
sr.Close()
End If
res.Close()

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Natalia

bruce barker

you need to send a multi-part form. the file should be a mime attachment.

CRLF
<a/a>
--23xx1211--

Natalia

I have got :
System.Net.WebException: The Content-Type header cannot be set to a
multipart type for this request.

bruce barker

i don't believe WebClient supports multipart, you have to use the lower
level HttpWebRequest.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Natalia

Ok, I rethink the logic to use HTTPWebRequest as recommended...

Now I am passing parameters in the postURL = "http://site.com?par1=xx&par2=yy".

I do receive the response from the other server back with values, but not file received. What is the problem!?

Private Function DoWebRequest(ByVal postURL As String, ByVal fileURL As String) As String
Dim boundary As String = Guid.NewGuid().ToString().Replace("-", "")

'DECLARE A FILE===
Dim formdata_Bytes As Byte() = System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("--" & boundary & vbCrLf & "Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\""batch_file\""" & vbCrLf & "content-type: text/plain; charset=windows-1250" & vbCrLf & "content-transfer-encoding:quoted-printable" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "VALUE" & vbCrLf & "--" & boundary & "--" & vbCrLf)

'GET FILE===
Dim sF As New FileStream(fileURL, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read)
Dim Tem() As Byte
ReDim Tem(sF.Length)
sF.Read(Tem, 0, sF.Length)
sF.Close()

'JOIN FILE DECLARATION AND FILE CONTENTS ===
Dim ByteArrayToSend() As Byte
ReDim ByteArrayToSend(formdata_Bytes.Length + Tem.Length) 'make it big enough
formdata_Bytes.CopyTo(ByteArrayToSend, 0) 'copy Body starting @ 0
Tem.CopyTo(ByteArrayToSend, formdata_Bytes.Length - 1) 'copy File starting @ Body.Length(-1)

'MAKE WEBREQUEST ===
Dim req As HttpWebRequest = DirectCast(WebRequest.Create(postURL), HttpWebRequest)
req.Method = "post"
req.ContentType = "multipart/form-data; boundary=" & boundary
req.ContentLength = ByteArrayToSend.Length

Dim sD As Stream
Try
sD = req.GetRequestStream()
sD.Write(ByteArrayToSend, 0, ByteArrayToSend.Length) 'file content ===
sD.Flush()
Dim res As HttpWebResponse = req.GetResponse()
Dim sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader(res.GetResponseStream())
DoWebRequest = sr.ReadToEnd
sr.Close()
res.Close()

Catch ex As WebException
If ex.Status = WebExceptionStatus.Timeout Then
DoWebRequest = "Timeout error"
Else
DoWebRequest = ex.Message & "<br>"
End If