WebRequest problem ("200,38")

victor

Hello,

I'm running an ASP.NET client app which requests a jpg image from the
server location. This image file is constantly updated by another app
at the same server machine - update frequency varies between 200-500
msecs.
The problem: the response the client gets is always "200", aka "OK",
but, when I look into the W3SVC1 logfile, there exist regularly the
following condition: "200,38" instead of the wanted "200,0" state.
Looking up the IIS logging syntax, the "38" next to the "200" code
means that this is a 'Reached hte end of file' / ERROR_HANDLE_EOF
case. I suspect that those are the occasions that the file was in a
locked state by the updating app.
It is noticeable at the client: the image viewing sometimes misses a
scene.
How can I access this '38' error code (called WINNT Status Code in the
IIS manual) so that I can handle this situation - or does somebody
have another suggestion?

Thanks,
victor.

Bruce Barker

currently you are using IIS's default file handling. you can tke over by
supplying an isapi filter or handler. you could also remap images to asp.net
and write a .net module to handle it. though the performance of a .net
module is much lower than the other options.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

victor

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for responding and pointing to a solution.
I'm not a experienced web designer (this is my first app), hence I'm
now in the course of finding info (on the net, msdn) on how to carry
out your advise of overtaking IIS with an ISAPI handler.
If, by chance, you have an example / code snippet ... I'll appreciate
it.

greetz,
victor