Website to provide access to documents

bstauffer

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas on this.

I have an ASP.Net 2.0 website set up on a working production web
server. The purpose of the site is to provide access to various
documents including .doc, .xls, .pdf, etc. Once a user signs in, a
customized treeview of documents is displayed. These documents and
their hierarchial relationship have been previously configured using a
seperate application. When a user clicks on a document in the
treeview, the document is accessed via a UNC path and displayed in a
popup window.

This works fine for folks on the inside of our network but not at all
for the customers who need to really use it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I cannot allow the documents to
be browsed to directly so I don't think I can use URL's for their
paths. The customer must only be allowed to access documents which
they have been granted explicit access to. When a user clicks on a
document they receive a message that says "Cannot find 'file://
somefile.pdf'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

Ideas???

bruce barker

unc will not work. create a page that returns a document based on name
(or id) and checks access. then put all the docs in a folder that is not
served by iis. the treeview will render a link to the display page with
the doc identified.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)