What has managed code achieved?

Scott M.

¤ The fact remains, sloppy coding or not, that managing memory in VB 6 was
the
¤ responsibility of the developer and in .NET the CLR manages this for us
to a
¤ much larger degree.

In most instances that's true. That is, unless COM is involved, then all
bets are off.

And, that's all I've been trying to say.

Scott M.

Inline...

Wolfgang Enzinger said:
Well, what can I say ... it's all plain wrong, simply.

Oh! Well, thanks for that analysis.
It's not, and never was. As soon as the last object reference is
released, the object gets distroyed.

That is not in dispute. The conversation is about how to make that happen
in VB 6 as opposed to .NET and the consequences of not doing it in both
environments.
I honestly never heard about that in all those years.

Well, then you must be right because that in-depth rebuttal can't possibly
stand scritiny.
If I don't need a particular object instance anymore then I'll set all
references to Nothing or let them run out of scope. If however I still
need it, then I don't. You can call that an "issue" or "memory leak".
I don't. I wonder how the system should know about my plans if I don't
state them?!

You've just made my point (the one that you said was wrong). In VB 6.0, you
had to state your intentions by either destroying your object references or
not. In .NET, you don't.
Strange that I never noticed any difference in all those years. In
fact, by checking whether the Terminate event is executed I can assure
that there *is no difference*.

Again, "all your years" isn't an argument. What COM automation work have
you done that relates to this?
I'm pretty sure it will be hard to find *one*, except Scott, of
course. *g*

Wolfgang

Ask yourself why Microsoft would abandon reference counters in favor of
Garbage Collection and ask yourself if, perhaps, others with "years of
experience" have possible done things you haven't.

Scott M.

That's not at all what I've said and your reply just indicates that you'd
rather have an argument than understand someting.

Did I ever say that anything was magic? Did I ever say that we don't worry
about object lifetimes?

No and no. That makes the rest of your diatribe moot.

The fact remains that in .NET, you should never have to explicitly set an
object reference to Nothing and doing so can in fact hurt application
performance.

-Scott

Ken Halter

Scott M. said:
Again, "all your years" isn't an argument. What COM automation work have
you done that relates to this?

The question should be.... What COM automation work have *you* done that
causes memory leaks? It wasn't the fault of VB6, that much I guarantee. The
COM objects you were using may've not been setup correctly for use with VB6,
but that's not VB's fault.
Ask yourself why Microsoft would abandon reference counters in favor of
Garbage Collection and ask yourself if, perhaps, others with "years of
experience" have possible done things you haven't.

LOL... Let's get Microsoft in here to explain that, eh? There've been many
flamewars over that exact "abandonment" issue... and possibly, others with
"years of experience" could've helped with those memory leak problems you
seemed to have problems with, because they've done things *you* haven't.

There's no reason to Set x = Nothing if x falls out of scope. If you
disagree, provide some proof.

In the case of circular references (which VB6 absolutely does not allow,
between projects, if loaded as a group project), you're on your own. Still,
not the fault of VB6 and "years of experience" gives you the tools required
to cure problems like that. A simple Debug.Print in Class_Terminate will
tell the world when the reference count = 0 for any object.

mayayana

What are the advantages actually achieved of managed code? I am not
talking
of theory but in reality.

Something that most people don't seem to notice, in
all this talk of the pros and cons of memory management,
is the achievement from Microsoft's business perspective.

.Net goes a long way toward sandboxing all programmers
who are not MS or MS partners. Each new OS version
also continues in that direction. If MS goes the rest of
the way, blocking all "unsafe" code, they'll have the pieces
in place to achieve a radical transformation of the Windows
product, greatly increasing their own control over how the
product is used and enabling the full redefinition of Windows
as the brains of a service appliance rather than as a software
platform.

As a service appliance a Windows PC can have unhackable
DRM, hosted advertising, subscription software - and limited,
high-level, Java-style programming options. That direction holds
the possible promise of better stability, security and profits
for MS in the long term... Or at least they seem to think so.

Whether or not it's a positive achievement is in the eye of
the beholder.

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

Scott M. said:
In VB 6, if you didn't explicitly destroy your object references, you not
only wasted memory, but also potentially tie up external resources. So,
to solve those two problems the developer HAD to dereference objects.

In most cases this was not necessary because references were removed
automatically when the (local) variables went out of scope (for example,
when leaving a procedure). The only fundamental difference is IMO the
automatical cleanup of circular references in .NET, which is a valuable
advantage.
The point being that in .NET, the developer doesn't write memory
management code, as was required in VB 6, and that is one advantage of
working in a managed environment.

Well, I have to disagree. Even in VB you have to remove references to
objects if you do not need them any more. For sure, you do not have to
clean up circular references, but it has even been possible to avoid
circular references in VB (by chosing another architecture or by using weak