what is .3pm extension

TechCrazy

Hi, I am new to Perl. What are the files with .3pm extension? I know
that files with .pm extension are perl modules.

I have a file Tangram::Set.3pm in my perl packages directory.

$ file Tangram\:\:Set.3pm
Tangram::Set.3pm: troff or preprocessor input text

How do I view the contents of this file? Looks like there is code and
docs inside this file?

I have googling around for 30 minutes now. Haven't found anything yet.
Maybe, I am looking at the wrong places. I unsuccessfully tried all the
possible options with man as well:

517 man Tangram::Set.3pm
518 man -M .Tangram::Set.3pm
519 man -m .Tangram::Set.3pm
520 MANPATH=. man Tangram::Set.3pm
521 MANPATH=. man Tangram::Set.3pm
533 man Tangram::Scalar.3pm
534 man < Tangram::Scalar.3pm
535 man -M . < Tangram::Scalar.3pm
537 man -t Tangram::Scalar.3pm
538 man -t -M . Tangram::Scalar.3pm
539 man -t -M . Tangram::Scalar
540 man -t -M . Tangram
541 man -t -M . Scalar

axel

TechCrazy said:
Hi, I am new to Perl. What are the files with .3pm extension? I know
that files with .pm extension are perl modules.
I have a file Tangram::Set.3pm in my perl packages directory.

$ file Tangram\:\:Set.3pm
Tangram::Set.3pm: troff or preprocessor input text
How do I view the contents of this file? Looks like there is code and
docs inside this file?

It is most likely a manual page.

Try from the command line:

nroff -man Tangram::Set.3pm | less

Axel

Sherm Pendley

TechCrazy said:
Hi, I am new to Perl. What are the files with .3pm extension?

Man pages that have been produced with pod2man.
I have a file Tangram::Set.3pm in my perl packages directory.

How do I view the contents of this file?

Well, for one thing they're no different from what you'd get with
"perldoc Tangram::Set". But if you prefer man pages for some reason,
just copy the file to wherever your other Perlish man pages live -
likely either /usr/local/share/man/man3 or /usr/share/man/man3.

The "make install" step of the module installation should have already
done that for you, however. It might be worth wondering why it didn't.

sherm--

Mark Clements

TechCrazy said:
[...]

MANPATH or the argument to -M need to be set to the notional top-level
of the man structure you want to read from (ie the directory in which
one finds man1, man3 etc). You can use strace/truss (eg on
Linux/Solaris) to work out exactly what files man is trying to open.

3pm in this case means that the file is a manfile in section 3pm, "pm"
standing for "perl modules", though this convention appears to have
fallen out of use.

Note that manfiles can normally just be processed with nroff if all else
fails eg:

nroff -man blib/man3/Tangram::Set.3 | less

Also note that I can't find any .3pm files in the latest version of
Tangram; is your installation out of date?

Mark

TechCrazy

Thanks Mark, Sherm for your time.

I don't care a lot about the Tangram package as such. Only wanted to
know about .3pm files.