What's beyond Rails?

James Toomey

Somewhat off-topic rant: This isn't so much a dig at Rails but a
critique of HTML in general. I've done web development with PHP,
ColdFusion, and ASP, and being able to use Ruby in doing so (especially
with Rails' well-designed database interactivity) is certainly a
welcome change. However, the general model is still the same, in terms
of using code to write out HTML to an essentially-static page. The HTML
interface is still such a far cry from the things you can do with a
rich client. For ordering airline tickets on Travelocity or books on
Amazon, the web works great, but imagine trying to emulate Adobe
Photoshop via a web browser, or a spreadsheet like Excel.
It seems to me that there needs to be a next-generation of HTML that
enables web apps to truly be like rich client apps, and
I don't think the solution needs to be a faster connection that sucks
down the entire application in the form of massive Java applets every
time I want to use the program. Perhaps the solution does need to be a
"computer" that's designed from the ground up as a web-enabled dumb
terminal, but that has forms and controls optimized so that they
require minimal data inflow to tell them what to do.
To me, this would make the web incredibly more useful (and would put
serious potential into the claim that Google wants to become a web
operating system). If I've purchased Adobe Photoshop (or rented it, as
I'm sure will be the more likely model), instead of loading it on every
computer I use, why can't I get to Photoshop at any computer in the
world merely by logging into my personal website and getting access to
every software program I own or am renting? Why would it need to be
reloaded at every computer? This is particularly annoying when you're
visiting a friend in another city for a weekend, and jump onto his
computer to check email or show him how to do something useful, and
think, "I wish I had App X loaded on here right now."
I was disappointed to see Google Suggest being touted as innovative; it
seems to indicate that Google's going to stay within the existing web
realm and not try anything really new (as I read on the web somewhere,
"for a web app, Google Suggest is neat; for a desktop app, it's so
1995"). For all of Google's deep pockets and reputation as innovative,
I expected to see them partner up with a hardware manufacturer and try
something dramatically different.

Douglas Livingstone

Somewhat off-topic rant: This isn't so much a dig at Rails but a
critique of HTML in general.

That's what Macromedia is trying to sell you!

Flash MX with Flash Communication Server.

It isn't quite fast enough to write photoshop in it, but that's what
people are trying to do.

On the other end, if we could get programmable SGV (imo we need a
"canvas" of some sort to get close to excel apps) there might be
something there, or you could try XBL/XUL of some sort. (I'd love to
be able to do client side Ruby XBL interfaces...)

Douglas

Francis Hwang

There's an inherent trade-off: Compared to desktop apps, web apps are
pretty crappy interaction-wise, but you can use web apps in a lot more
places. There are lots of efforts to bring more rich interactivity to
web apps: Java, Flash, AJAX, XForms, even Mozilla's XUL might count
depending on how you look at it. There's no clear standard for how to
do these things, so there's a lot of messiness and it might take some
time for everything to get sorted out.

Personally I'm also a little concerned about how highly dynamic sites
push back against other web efforts. AJAX-y sites are hard to make
accessible to the blind, and from what I've seen they tend to break
REST, as well. REST used to be a largely academic concern, but it's
only now that we're starting to pass around URIs as permanent tokens
(technorati, del.icio.us, etc.) and that's a big part of REST. If I
never see another session variable in a URI it'll be too soon ...

Anyway, getting Photoshop in an online app is going to take some doing.
When you're running a gaussian blur on a 2 MB image, you want to be as
close to the metal as possible. You wouldn't want to do that in
Javascript.

p.s. Rich Kilmer's Flash app Alph was supposed to help with this whole
issue, Rich are you still working on it?

[...]

http://fhwang.net/

Jeffrey Moss

Yeah we all hate HTML I'm sure, us programmer types (ruby programmers no
less). SGML is the worst man, but thats what we're stuck with, it aint going
away any time soon.

You share my same vision, of applications like photoshop being written for a
web browser, a subscription model, those are the kind of apps I'm interested
in developing. Use google maps as an example of an innovative application.
Get real good at Javascript.

I have a DHTML version of lemmings bookmarked on my browser at home. Its
pretty impressive for a DHTML only app but it runs slow as hell, for
LEMMINGS! Lemmings ran faster on my old sega game gear as a kid. It's a real
shame we're stuck with this mess of semi-interoperable technologies. Flash
seems to be the best thing to use if you want to write a truly immersive
app, credit goes to the last guy to mention this.

-Jeff