What's the difference settings for different user in one computer?

fl

Hi,
Excuse me for posting the question here because I got no answer in
matlab's user group. Java is embeded in Matlab. Previously it works for
me in my computer. I don't know the reason it doesn't work anymore when
I import a class. The system message says the class is syntax error,
although it works if I use other's user account. I have reinstalled
Matlab, it remains the same problem.
I want to know what is the difference between my and the other's
account. That is, which file defines the distinct behavior between
different users?

Thank you very much.

Oliver Wong

fl said:
Hi,
Excuse me for posting the question here because I got no answer in
matlab's user group. Java is embeded in Matlab. Previously it works for
me in my computer. I don't know the reason it doesn't work anymore when
I import a class. The system message says the class is syntax error,
although it works if I use other's user account. I have reinstalled
Matlab, it remains the same problem.
I want to know what is the difference between my and the other's
account. That is, which file defines the distinct behavior between
different users?

Please post the exact error message, not your paraphrasing of the error
message.

- Oliver

James Westby

fl said:
Hi,
Excuse me for posting the question here because I got no answer in
matlab's user group. Java is embeded in Matlab. Previously it works for
me in my computer. I don't know the reason it doesn't work anymore when
I import a class. The system message says the class is syntax error,
although it works if I use other's user account. I have reinstalled
Matlab, it remains the same problem.
I want to know what is the difference between my and the other's
account. That is, which file defines the distinct behavior between
different users?

Thank you very much.
What's the exact error message?

Is Matlab's classpath pointing at the class you think it is?

James

fl

Sorry for the incomplete message. The wrong feedback of Matlab is:??? Error: File: bertool.m Line: 11 Column: 8
Arguments to IMPORT must either end with ".*"
or else specify a fully qualified class name:
"com.mathworks.toolbox.comm.BERTool" fails this test.

ans =

Java 1.5.0 with Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM mixed
mode

Java 1.5.0 comes with Matlab. Before the problem appeared, I did not
install new Java version. I only suspect my daughter played with
Microsoft Frontpage using my account.
I have tried import all the class in the same Jar compressed file. Only
bertool cannot be imported. All others can be loaded!
From control panel, I cannot see any difference with Java setting with
other user account. The parameter of application Java runtime:
System:
1.6.0-beta Active
Utilizer:
1.4.2_03 Active
1.6.0-beta Active

Thank you very much.

Chris Uppal

fl said:
??? Error: File: bertool.m Line: 11 Column: 8
Arguments to IMPORT must either end with ".*"
or else specify a fully qualified class name:
"com.mathworks.toolbox.comm.BERTool" fails this test.

Is BERTool something that comes with Matlab, or is it one of your own classes ?

Does BERTool.class exist in one of the directories or jar files reported by
Matlab's javaclasspath function ?

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f4867.html

Is there a difference between your own classpath.txt and that of the other user
?

It might also be worth looking for differences in %CLASSPATH% between yourself
and the other user.

-- chris

fl

Chris said:
Is BERTool something that comes with Matlab, or is it one of your own classes ?

Does BERTool.class exist in one of the directories or jar files reported by
Matlab's javaclasspath function ?

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f4867.html

Is there a difference between your own classpath.txt and that of the other user
?

It might also be worth looking for differences in %CLASSPATH% between yourself
and the other user.

-- chris

Sorry, bertool comes with Matlab.

The most curious thing is that all the class in the same .jar can be
imported except bertool. The javapath would affect the class access to
the whole path, not a single class.

Before the problem, I did not creat the classpath command. That is,
there is only the default java classpath file. It is really strange.

Thank you.

Chris Uppal

fl said:
The most curious thing is that all the class in the same .jar can be
imported except bertool. The javapath would affect the class access to
the whole path, not a single class.

That is odd. The only things I can think of:

Is there more than one version of the JAR on your machine ?
Is the bertool.m file the same for yourself and the other user ?

Another possibility (remote -- I hope), it may be that something is wrong with
the environment such that the Matlab/Java combination is actually /finding/ the
class OK, but is unable to /load/ it (something fails in the class
initialisation perhaps), and that the error message is misleading.
Unfortunately, I don't have Matlab (or the bertool classfiles) so it's
impossible to diagnose from here. I can only suggest that you double-check the
environments of both users (type "set" in a Dos window), and that you check
(again) the output from Matlab's
javaclasspath
function -- /any/ difference might be relevant.

-- chris