What's wrong with this code?

darrel

Our CMS sets a cookie when you login. Various applications within the CMS
check the cookie to establish the user's name, permissions, etc.

The class below is what is references whenever we need to grab the user
data. For instance, when the user saves a database record, we attach their
username to the record by requesting SecureUsers.su_strUser

The problem (as you can probably guess) is that if two people trigger a
thread at the same time, one user's data can be 'grabbed' by the other's
process.

I'm assume this is because these variables are all 'shared', as 'shared' is
at the class level rather than instance level, correct? If so, are Public
Properties the solution? Or should I be calling a public function within
this class that returns the values (creating an instance of the class
first)? Or...?

-Darrel

Public Class SecureUsers
Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl

Public Shared su_strUser As String
Public Shared su_strEmail As String
Public Shared su_intDistrict As Integer
Public Shared su_intAdminLevel As Integer
Public Shared su_categories As String
Public Shared su_strDistrict As String

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Not Request.Cookies("CMSUser") Is Nothing Then
su_strUser =
Server.HtmlEncode(Request.Cookies("CMSUser")("su_strUser"))
su_strDistrict =
Server.HtmlEncode(Request.Cookies("CMSUser")("su_strDistrict"))
su_intDistrict =
Server.HtmlEncode(Request.Cookies("CMSUser")("su_intDistrict"))
su_strEmail =
Server.HtmlEncode(Request.Cookies("CMSUser")("su_strEmail"))
su_categories =
Server.HtmlEncode(Request.Cookies("CMSUser")("su_categories"))
su_intAdminLevel =
Server.HtmlEncode(Request.Cookies("CMSUser")("su_intAdminLevel"))
End If
End Sub

End Class

bruce barker

you are correct, in vb shared means share at class level. just remove
the shared attribute.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

darrel

you are correct, in vb shared means share at class level. just remove the
shared attribute.

So, is this the proper syntax?:

class MyClass
public MyVariable

and than retrieve it via:

dim MyInstanceOfMyClass as new MyClass
dim localVariable = MyInstanceOfMyClass.MyVariable

-Darrel