where does the syntactic sugar get defined?

Key Bern

Where exactly does the syntactic sugar get defined in Ruby? Is it
built-in into the Ruby core syntax? It seems to me like a preprocessing
thing...

Can I define my own syntactic sugar for Ruby?

Thx,
Keybern

Key Bern

core syntax vs syntactic sugar
----------- ---------------
4.+(12) 4 + 12
array.[ ](13) array[13]
persoon1.==(persoon2) persoon1 == persoon2
if not unless
Proc.new lambda

Aren't the things from to right column preprocessed into the left
column?

Alex Gutteridge

core syntax vs syntactic sugar
----------- ---------------
4.+(12) 4 + 12
array.[ ](13) array[13]
persoon1.==(persoon2) persoon1 == persoon2
if not unless
Proc.new lambda

Aren't the things from to right column preprocessed into the left
column?

'unless' is a full 'reserved word' in the parser just like 'if' and
'not' so I don't think it's really correct to say it is being
preprocessed into them. Likewise operators such as '+' and '==' are
defined in parse.y. lambda and Proc.new are not identical. The
behaviour of lambda is defined in eval.c.

Alex Gutteridge

Bioinformatics Center
Kyoto University

Logan Capaldo

core syntax vs syntactic sugar
----------- ---------------
4.+(12) 4 + 12 Yes
array.[ ](13) array[13] Yes
persoon1.==(persoon2) persoon1 == persoon2 Yes
if not unless
Yes (If you don't believe me, check parse tree's AST for an unless cond then
...)
Proc.new lambda
No

One more:
!(a == b) a != b

Of course these things only apply for MRI, JRuby, etc. may do different
transformations, I do not know.