Where is my Login control validated

Tony Johansson

Hello!

I just want to know where the validation for a user is made. Is it on the
client or on the server ?
Here is what I have done.

I have dragged a Login control from the Login category in the toolbox into
my LoginForm.aspx page.
I changed these four properties for the Login control
DisplayRememberMe = false
FailureText =Invalid username or password try again
TitleText=My login Test
DestinationPageUrl=~/MyStartPage

I use the built in utility in Visual Studio 2005 together with ASP.NET Web
Site Administration Tool to handle username and password and let the login
controll take care of standardprocessing to validate the user when clicking
on the LogIn button that exist on the login control.

I use the ASP.NET configuration on the Website-menu to create user and
create access rules.
As the last thing I changed in the web.config to add a new forms element
with some attribute into the authentication structure.

My login example work perfect but as I mention in the beginning
I just want to know where the validation for a user is made. Is it on the
client or on the server ?

//Tony

Guest

[...]

Why do you think it might be validated on the client?

The validation is performed by calling the Membership.ValidateUser
method, passing in the supplied username and password. If that method
returns true, then the user is ok. Of course, it's done on the server.