    other stuff going on but I didn't think or didn't know I would have to write
    all of the authentication code to authenticate a user trying to login simply
    because I was also using some other event handler for the Login control.

    HillBilly, Jul 7, 2009

  2. You don't have to rewrite everything if you are using the standard
    authentication method. If you are using custom tables, a database other
    than Access or SQL Server or completely changing authentication, then
    you do have to write a custom provider, but not for changing validation.

    You want to use the validating method and set e.Cancel = true when the
    user fails your scheme. That will not alter the normal operation for
    anyone you allow to pass through the gate.

    If I have missed the nail, post a follow up.

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 7, 2009

  3. HillBilly

    HillBilly Guest

    Not even using the template but bringing it right down to the basics noting
    the Login.aspx control is loaded into a Panel and the Panel is in the
    MasterPage

    // will login but I do not know if it is using validation to catch unknown
    credentials
    <asp:Login ID="MemberLogin" runat="server" />

    I do not know how to code this anymore because any event handler will cause
    the control to no longer authenticate and login a known user

    <asp:Login ID="MemberLogin" runat="server"
    OnAuthenticate="OnAuthenticate" />

    HillBilly, Jul 7, 2009
  4. That is used for custom authentication only. If you want to do your own
    check and then allow normal authentication, then use OnLoggingIn. You can
    set e.Cancel = true when it breaks your rules. If you want to do something
    after a log in, you can use OnLoggedIn instead.

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jul 7, 2009
  5. HillBilly

    HillBilly Guest

    I've got something to work tonight thanks for bringing some choices to my
    attention.

    HillBilly, Jul 8, 2009