Where is that title gone ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gloops, Jan 6, 2014.

  1. Gloops

    Gloops Guest

    Hello everybody,

    When reading that page :
    http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-microsoft-ceo-search-2014-1

    I saw that the most part of the H4 titles, at the beginning of them, was
    invisible because of, virtually, a negative margin.

    For instance, for the first one, I read : "oft CEO Thing... Probably
    Not Happening!"

    I saved the page locally, as well as the stylesheet :
    http://static6.businessinsider.com/assets/css/min-1.css

    that way I could replace "overflow:hidden" by "overflow:visible", at
    least for style media-body, and in fact for most styles but as I saw
    this one should have been the good one.

    I can read a larger part of the title, but the beginning of it is still
    not visible (except of course in the source of the page).

    It appears like that as well in Firefox (with NoScript extension) as in
    Internet Explorer. Is that only on my machine ?

    It seems authorizing the scripts does not solve the problem.

    I tried putting "float:left" instead of "float:none" (before going to
    see what that means) in style pull-left, with no visible results.

    I did not find how they did that, can anyone help me to understand ?
    I thought to a table with fixed width, in fact there is only one table,
    with style xignite-indices, there is no width set in it, is there ?

    Gloops, Jan 6, 2014

  2. Can't see a negative margin being set.
    The H4 headers are completely visible here.
    I checked with Waterfox, IE9 and Chrome, no problem.
    Authorizing scripts did some change to the font, but the text was still
    all there.
    I don't think that they meant to hide them headers. The page contains
    some markup errors and over 900 CSS errors, so all bets are off.

    Osmo Saarikumpu, Jan 6, 2014

  3. Gloops

    Gloops Guest

    Le 06/01/2014 12:59, Osmo Saarikumpu a écrit :

    Oh, you mean the problem is specific to my machine :
    http://cjoint.com/data3/3AgtoDr6JTR_buisinessinsider.jpg

    Any idea where that can come from ?
    It appears the same way in Firefox and IE8 ...

    The system is Windows XP Home SP3, protected by Online Armor and
    Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Oh, seems to be something to learn, there :)

    Thank you ...

    Gloops, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Gloops

    dorayme Guest

    It appears as if all styles are off in my Safari, in some browsers,
    very little appears (about 5 menu type links), in FF it looks fine,
    there all sorts of odd things but not as OP describes. It is the sort
    of page that that should be run away from in great haste, it has
    probably not been tested properly by the author(s), it veers off the
    path of best practice so far that you are right: all bets are off!

    dorayme, Jan 6, 2014
  5. It has to do with the width of your browser window. If you have a
    widescreen monitor set browser >= 1080 it looks fine. Start narrowing
    the windows and the images jump in size and left margin cuts off. I'd
    say 'deziner' tried to some something fancy various view port and did an
    epic fail.

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 6, 2014
  6. Gloops

    dorayme Guest

    In my Mac Safari with a browser window several *miles* wide, there are
    no obvious author styles, with my Mac FF, at very narrow indeed, it
    behaves well. Perhaps there is a mess of browser sniffing in it.

    dorayme, Jan 7, 2014
  7. Well "behaves well" is not what I would say, but with 760 KB of
    stylesheets and 2922 KB of JavaScript I'm not debugging it.

    See wide:

    <http://www.littleworksstudio,com/temp/usenet/wide>

    Not so wide, but by no means narrow!
    <http://www.littleworksstudio,com/temp/usenet/notsowide>

    Well my "miles" was only 3840px.

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 7, 2014
  8. Jonathan N. Little, Jan 7, 2014
  9. Gloops

    dorayme Guest

    You might tend to say this if you saw it in my FF. It adapts well to
    width, mostly to changes in text size (the extremes break it *a bit*).
    In my Safari, it is very acceptable, if you like (as I do) no styles
    (I have no idea why it presents so different in different browsers,
    you should see it in Mac IE 5!)

    dorayme, Jan 7, 2014
  10.
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 7, 2014
  11. Gloops

    Gloops Guest

    Le 07/01/2014 00:28, Jonathan N. Little a écrit :
    I use what in French we call "ultra-portable", it holds in a cover less
    than 30 cm of outside length.

    The screen diagonal measures somewhat 25 cm, its maximum resolution is
    1024x600.

    Gloops, Jan 7, 2014
  12. Gloops

    Gloops Guest

    Well, I feel less alone :)

    Gloops, Jan 7, 2014
  13. Gloops

    Gloops Guest

    Le 06/01/2014 20:03, Ed Mullen wrote :
    By curiosity I shall have a look this afternoon, but I do not fear too
    much that my Firefox extensions trouble the display in Internet Explorer.

    The topic of the screen size that has appeared in the thread seems
    somewhat coherent. If the page is displayed in a table, the navigation
    pane stays on the side, and if the styles do not allow the title to
    appear on more than one line, it can give the results I showed. I
    noticed that no width was given in the table style, but ... it can be
    limited by the screen size, this is what I did not think to.

    I presume this is the reason why many sites prefer HTTP div to HTTP
    table ...

    Thank you everybody.

    Gloops, Jan 7, 2014
  14. Gloops

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Jan 7, 2014
  15.
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 7, 2014
  16. Gloops

    dorayme Guest

    Well, let's put it this way: A really good thing in a website design,
    if it can be achieved, is to have it fluidly flow, to wrap and fit in
    a viewport and be easily usable. This appeared to me to happen with
    this site in my FF, that it had no scrollbars is a testament to it, it
    is what I meant by behaving well (which you doubted).

    I really have not gone in to it, it looks like an abortion that
    somehow behaves itself in my FF, like a drunk actor that is given a
    shot of vitamin B12 and goes on stage and pulls off a performance on
    one occasion. (I do admit that I heard it collapse with exhaustion
    after I closed my FF down... I am sure I heard a sound like "Phew!
    Made it!")

    The scrollbar, btw, appears in the Safari (el basico style), so I am
    sure there are width specs or other things pushing the minimum out.
    Here is something I have no familiarity with:

    "<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1,
    maximum-scale=1" />

    I should, but can't be bothered to investigate all this! Perhaps the
    author developed it for FF somehow and everything he did he made sure
    worked in FF, maybe even Mac FF, then hacked his way to get the same
    in other browsers and screwed up badly, I don't know!

    I am sure many of us could mark up far simpler and better to make the
    site work well in all browsers.

    dorayme, Jan 7, 2014