Where is the database connection pool locating?

Colin Fu

Where is the database connection pool locating? The application server
memory which runs .net framework or the database server memory?

Another question, if I use the ADO.NET to manage the database connections
with database connection pool, so is the pooling mode is different from
specific databases or just the same?

Thanks in advanced, nice day.:)

Colin Fu

Oh, plus, if you have any files or references about this problem, please let
me know, thanks:)

George

1. Connection pool is located on a application server.
database server does not connect to itself.... hence i do not see how it
would keep the pool of connections....

2. Totally did not understand second question.... But may be have an answer.
Connection pool is unique per connection string. If you have same connection
string with the same identity you connecting with you will have one pool. If
you have different connection strings (like diffferent DB) or different
identities then it will be separate connection pools.

George.

sloan

I would add that "different identities" will show up if you use windows
authentication (as opposed to sql authentication).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8xx3tyca(VS.80).aspx
Pool Fragmentation Due to Integrated Security
Connections are pooled according to the connection string plus the user
identity. Therefore, if you use Basic authentication or Windows
Authentication on the Web site and an integrated security login, you get one
pool per user. Although this improves the performance of subsequent database
requests for a single user, that user cannot take advantage of connections
made by other users. It also results in at least one connection per user to
the database server. This is a side effect of a particular Web application
architecture that developers need to weigh against security and auditing
requirements.

Colin Fu

Thanks man, thanks for your time and reply.
The second question I mean if the database connections pool is located at
application server, so the ADO.NET will be manage the pool. If there are two
pools, one for SQL Server and the other for Oracle, the ADO.NET will use the
same strategy to manage the pool or the strategy is different?

Hope this is clearer than its predecessor

Thanks again:)