Where meta tags came from

Simon

Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which was
connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when people where
discussing what tags should be introduced to the next version of HTML, my
suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an abbrivation of the word
metaphysics.

Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist in
all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics of a
page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find it from 17
years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at least still use
it.

Oh well thanks for listening ;-)

Simon
http://www.chronolabs.org.au/
http://www.extraterrestrialembassy.com/
http://www.shower.geek.nz/

Harlan Messinger

Simon said:
Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which was
connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when people where
discussing what tags should be introduced to the next version of HTML, my
suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an abbrivation of the word
metaphysics.

Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist in
all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics of a
page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find it from 17
years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at least still use
it.

Sorry, the use of the term "metadata" (not from "metaphysics"--rather,
both words are based on the Greek-derived prefix "meta-") to refer to
data *about* data predates the Internet.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 07:28:42
GMT Simon scribed:
Well when I was 12 I got my first 386, this was with a 28K modem which
was connected to ozemail. I reply to this usenet group then when
people where discussing what tags should be introduced to the next
version of HTML, my suggestion was the meta tag which was basically an
abbrivation of the word metaphysics.

Funny enough as it is this meta tag from the mind of a child now exist
in all HTML documents and controls from my perspective the metaphysics
of a page. I have always posted under this name so maybe you can find
it from 17 years ago, but alas the standards haven't changed, yahoo at
least still use it.

Oh well thanks for listening ;-)

Somehow I think meta tags metastasized from other origins. But thanks for
the meandering miasma of your immaterial memories.

Harlan Messinger

Harlan said:
Sorry, the use of the term "metadata" (not from "metaphysics"--rather,
both words are based on the Greek-derived prefix "meta-") to refer to
data *about* data predates the Internet.

And perhaps your birth as well?

Simon

Sorry, the use of the term "metadata" (not from "metaphysics"--rather, Yeah that what we assumed the term meta would eventually be put into that
contect by some zealot with a close minded education..

ps.. My urine has more value than the sound on your keyboard.

Simon

Somehow I think meta tags metastasized from other origins. But thanks for
the meandering miasma of your immaterial memories.

No it is definately metaphysics, as that was the topic of debate we where
having in alt.html, back before even JPG was a concept and all the browser
where text based and you had to telnet into usenet etc.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:44:47
GMT Simon scribed:
No it is definately metaphysics, as that was the topic of debate we
where having in alt.html, back before even JPG was a concept and all
the browser where text based and you had to telnet into usenet etc.

Well, I didn't hang around either The Web or Usenet back then since bbses
were my "thang" and furthermore I'm like a zealot with a close-minded
education because my spontaneity is being slowly eaten-away by various
Finns on the warpath, but I think <tremble> you will receive a lot of
doubting replies from such a primal statement without offering at least
some viable proof of its accuracy.

Adrienne Boswell

No it is definately metaphysics, as that was the topic of debate we
where having in alt.html, back before even JPG was a concept and all
the browser where text based and you had to telnet into usenet etc.

The earliest message containing metaphysics in alt.html was a response
posted by Jukka on March 24, 2000 [http://tinyurl.com/2tmy8n].

The oldest message I've found for alt.html was 1/7/1996
[http://tinyurl.com/2v9rzu], and my first message in this group was
4/10/1999 [http://tinyurl.com/348qxc] ... Wow, how things have changed
from _that_ post.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
Adrienne Boswell said:
The earliest message containing metaphysics in alt.html was a response
posted by Jukka on March 24, 2000 [http://tinyurl.com/2tmy8n]

I think it was, rather, Thomas Liesner who first mentioned it in
that thread.

You're right, but I mentioned Jukka because so he's well known.

Harlan Messinger

Simon said:
Yeah that what we assumed the term meta would eventually be put into that
contect by some zealot with a close minded education..

ps.. My urine has more value than the sound on your keyboard.

Did you throw that last line in just to be sure I didn't start to take
you seriously?