where, oh where, did my codebehinds go?

chabuhi

I am a complete non-programmer

I have an .aspx page that refers to a codebehind .cs page

There are various "runat=server" sprinkled throughout the .aspx page

The page works fine on the website, but here's the freaky thing (at least, I
think it's freaky):

There are NO .cs pages anywhere on the server. How can the .aspx page rely
on a .cs codebehind if no such codebehind page exists?

Is it possible (sorry if this is a stupid question) that all of the .cs
codebehinds are compiled into a .dll or something? The only reason I ask is
because that's the only type of non-aspx file I find on the server (not
counting .js or .css or, obviously, images/flash/etc.).

What could be facilitating the functions of the codebehinds if they do not
exist?

Thanks for any help.

- c

LamSoft

When you create a aspx file in the visual web designer, the program will ask
you whether you place the code into a seperated file or not
for the express version, i don't think that it has the compile feature that
compile serveral cs in dll

non-cs file will not be compiled

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

chabuhi said:
I am a complete non-programmer

I have an .aspx page that refers to a codebehind .cs page

There are various "runat=server" sprinkled throughout the .aspx page

The page works fine on the website, but here's the freaky thing (at
least, I think it's freaky):

There are NO .cs pages anywhere on the server. How can the .aspx page
rely on a .cs codebehind if no such codebehind page exists?

Is it possible (sorry if this is a stupid question) that all of the .cs
codebehinds are compiled into a .dll or something?
Exactly.

The only reason I ask
is because that's the only type of non-aspx file I find on the server
(not counting .js or .css or, obviously, images/flash/etc.).

What could be facilitating the functions of the codebehinds if they do
not exist?

The .cs files only contain the source code. The source code has to be
compiled before it can be executed, and there is no reason to compile
the code on the server.

Roland Dick

Hi chabuhi,
Is it possible (sorry if this is a stupid question) that all of the .cs
codebehinds are compiled into a .dll or something? The only reason I ask

yes, that's possible; specifically, in DLLs in the bin directory under
your application root. That makes sense, because it means the code is
precompiled and performs faster than say ASP classic or PHP which is
interpreted every time it is called; and also, many companies selling
webapplications for money naturally don't want anybody to see the code.

Hope this helps,

Roland

chabuhi

Thanks for your reply - that certainly helps my understanding.

Let me reward you with a little comedy:

The webapp in question is basically a long form that users fill out and upon
hitting "submit" they will receive an automated email response indicating
that the form info has been passed on as appropriate. The firm that built
this webapp chose to do this in code rather than, say, as an actual email
autoresponse. Why is this a problem? Because they did it in code that is, as
you confirmed for me, now sitting in a dll along with, I'm certain, the code
from numerous other codebehind files. Why is it funny? Because I have been
given the "very simple" task of changing our company name in the
autoresponse email.

Let's see ... which would I rather do:

1) Change company name in an Outlook autoresponse template?

OR

2) Reverse engineer a dll to determine (if it's even possible) what source
files were compiled into it, alter the source file in question, and
recompile all affected source files back into the dll?

Hmmm ... tough choice.

Anyway, thanks to all for responding. I appreciate it.

Larry Bud

[...]

What about #3: Obtain the source code from the company that created
your website and change it there.