where did my dll go?

Guest

I have a local serve that holds my source code and i'm using vs2005 for 2.0
to build the site. I'm runingthe site off my local pc (filesystem). I built
the site but can't find the dll or the bin directory.
Any Ideas?

Mike Hildner

2.0 changed the way that works. Instead of putting the .dll in the bin
folder, things are located (default) at
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Although if you're using any third party controls (like Infragistics),
you'll have an App_Licenses.dll in the bin folder.

Mike

Teemu Keiski

And the model how you can actually get dlls is somewhat complicated (due to
lots of options). By default with Publish Web Site command in VS2005
(essentially means precompiling for deployment where you also get deployable
files) you get something, actually quite bunch of files to deploy to the
server

If you want to get to the model where you get single dll for building the
application, you have left two choices depending on the model how you work.

1. if you want to work with the "web site" model, default in VS2005, where
dll is not done when you build the web site project , you can download Web
Deployment Project (WDP) add-on. It is basically seperate project to VS2005,
to make deployable files (ddls) based on certain conditions you set
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/

2) If you want to work with very similar model as you did in VS2003, where
you were always required to have explicit compilation step (which produced
one dll), but on the other hand certain compilation related semantics were
very clear (which have changed with web site model), you can download Web
Application Project add-on
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wap/

I know, at first this seems very, very confusing, so you might want to have
a look at these forum & blog posts to understand what the differences really
are. There are no right or wrong answers right away, it is question of how
you work, you get things done with both models, equally.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1256579.aspx
http://webproject.scottgu.com
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/05/442032.aspx

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

Mike Hildner said:
2.0 changed the way that works. Instead of putting the .dll in the bin
folder, things are located (default) at
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Although if you're using any third party controls (like Infragistics),
you'll have an App_Licenses.dll in the bin folder.

Mike

Guest

can these then be copied to the bin folder on the live web server?
--
thanks (as always)
some day i''m gona pay this forum back for all the help i''m getting

Mike Hildner said:
2.0 changed the way that works. Instead of putting the .dll in the bin
folder, things are located (default) at
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Although if you're using any third party controls (like Infragistics),
you'll have an App_Licenses.dll in the bin folder.

Mike

Guest

I perfer to use the builtin deployment, but this will delete the images (and
other files) that exist on the wbsite. I don't mind copyingthe files
manuelly, but as you said the dlls are not (officially) created when you hit
build site. So i've tried option 1 and this will work, but is not the way
they are recomending.
Thanks
kes
--

Teemu Keiski said:
[...]

Yup,

well, basically the one option without even doing the publish step
(essentially precompilation for deployment) is just xcopy everything on the
production server. It means deploying also the source code.

Personally, I prefer web deployment projects with the default model because
I get all the benefits of the new model (wdp doesn't change that, it isd
separate project is vs solution), but I also get the neatness of deployment
plus other things that WDPs bring (dll per folder, web.config settings
switch, control over what is deployed e.g MSBuild ) and so on.

Guest

Thanks for responding,
What do you do about the images and other files that get deleted?

Teemu Keiski

They can be excluded from the deployment, as you can configure what the wdp
bundles within the deployment site. See the link about WDP and there "Using
Web Deployment Projects with Visual Studio 2005." guide

Plus that since WDP actually creates just a dll, you could also deploy other
files (aspx's etc) manually.