Visual Studio 2005 - Where did my DLL go?

Chris Botha

With VS 2003 the DLL is created in the "bin" directory.
My first Web app with VS 2005 ended up being a "File System Web Site", but
after some research I created a "Local IIS Web Site". However, there is no
"bin" directory in the virtual directory of the Web app, nor can I find any
DLL generated by the project.
The site works, I've tested it by connecting through the internet, so it is
not VS 2005 running it's personal web site as in the case of a File System
Web Site.
I was thinking though that this cannot be right, when deploying a Web app at
a customer, it should be deploying the regular aspx, ascx, etc, and the DLL.

Scott Allen

The dll(s) that the runtime creates will now be in the Temporary
ASP.NET Files directory underneath the framework installation
directory, unless you precompile the site with the publish option or
the aspnet_compiler command line tool.

Precompilation:
http://odetocode.com/Articles/417.aspx

The biggest difference in the 2.0 model is that the ASPX file and the
CodeFile (code-behind) for the ASPX now compile at the same point in
time, and into the same assembly.

Chris Botha

Right, I found it and I also browsed your article. Not too straight forward
though.

Thanks.