Where did my ASP.NET dll go in ASP.NET 2.0?

Otis Mukinfus

I've just been playing around with ASP.NET 2.0 and first I noticed it's not
really a project any more, but more importantly I can't find the dll for the
latest compiled of the web site. What gives?
Otis

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Otis,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
As for the new behaviors you met when developing asp.net app under the 2.0
enviornment, here are some of my understandings:

1. Yes, for ASP.NET 2.0 web application, it is no longer a project, but be
refered as "web site" which is called "projectless". This feature has
serveral benifits such as:

1) we no longer need to worry about the corruption of any VS.NET IDE
specific files such as .csproj or webinfo or... . In 1.x project, when some
of these files get damaged, we will get many unexpected problems when
opening or developing the project.

2) When using the projectless model, in some team dev scenario, we no
longer need to care about such IDE specific files when using source control
system to check in/ check out items.

#Projectless Web Projects in VS.NET 2005
http://geekswithblogs.net/joelross/archive/2005/08/11/49953.aspx

2.For the
=========
more importantly I can't find the dll for the
latest compiled of the web site
==========

this is another new feature of the ASP.NET2.0 's compilation model----
purely dynamic compiling... In asp.net 1.x all the code behind classes or
other components classes should be precompiled before being used at
runtime, that's why we will find the application's main dll in the "bin"
folder when we build our ASP.NET 1.X project in VS.NET IDE.
In ASP.NET 2.0, we have the new dynamic compilation model, in such model,
we can put all the codebehind page class's source file (without
precompiled) in the project folder and let the asp.net runtime dynamically
compile them at runtime. Also, for other helper component classes, we can
also make them utilize this feature, as long as we put them into those
well-known dynamic compile folders (such as App_Code and its child dirs
which can be confgured in web.config). In addition to this fully dynamic
compiled(no precompiled model), we can also use a "fully precompiled"
model, in which we precompiled all the components (even the dynamic pages
which used to be compiled when the client user requestthe actual page),
that means we could deploy the project without any source code and aspx
content.
For detailed reference, you can have a look on the following articles:(both
the below 2 articles are important since the compilation model has changed
from beta1 to beta2):

#Inside the ASP.NET 2.0 Code Compilation Model
http://www.codeguru.com/columns/Experts/article.php/c5365/

#Update on changes for Beta 2
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/whidbey/beta2update.aspx

And here is the ASP.NET2.0 QUICK START site:

http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/

Hope also helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: Otis Mukinfus <[email protected]>
| Subject: Where did my ASP.NET dll go in ASP.NET 2.0?
| Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:55:41 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I've just been playing around with ASP.NET 2.0 and first I noticed it's
not
| really a project any more, but more importantly I can't find the dll for
the
| latest compiled of the web site. What gives?
| Otis

Juan T. Llibre

Just one warning to all regarding :

That article was written for Beta 1 of the .Net Framework/ASP.NET 2.0.

There were a few changes between
Beta 1 and Beta 2 which affect that article's precision.

For example, the article says that "There is a new feature in ASP.NET 2.0
that lets you put all related code in a subdirectory called Code."

In Beta 2, that subdirectory's name was changed to "App_Code".

There's other changes and updated info in these two articles :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/050428.htm

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Yes, that's why I attached both the two articles in my message. But thanks
also for your kind remind Juan,

Regards,

> [...]

dynamic
| > compiled(no precompiled model), we can also use a "fully precompiled"
| > model, in which we precompiled all the components (even the dynamic
pages
| > which used to be compiled when the client user requestthe actual page),
| > that means we could deploy the project without any source code and aspx
| > content.
| > For detailed reference, you can have a look on the following
articles:(both
| > the below 2 articles are important since the compilation model has
changed
| > from beta1 to beta2):
| >
| > #Inside the ASP.NET 2.0 Code Compilation Model
| > http://www.codeguru.com/columns/Experts/article.php/c5365/
| >
| > #Update on changes for Beta 2
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/whidbey/beta2update.aspx
| >
| > And here is the ASP.NET2.0 QUICK START site:

| > |
| > | I've just been playing around with ASP.NET 2.0 and first I noticed
it's
| > not really a project any more, but more importantly I can't find the
dll for
| > the latest compiled of the web site. What gives?
| > | Otis

PTosh

HI!
I realized a couple days ago that in ASP.NET 2.0 there is no longer
asp.net web application project but it is an asp.net web site.
I wanted to know is there any place which mentions about all the files
in the asp.net 2.0 website like all the files were stored in the
..csproj file in asp.net 1.1

Thanks
Pooja.

Patrice

Earlier in 2.0 I believe all files were part of the project.
I believe the final design is the other way tway round i.e. all files are
part of the project unless specified otherwise (don't remember the goal of
this change, likely to ease file system based web site editing).

You may still want to check the beta doc for this behavior...

Brock Allen

VS.NET is no longer doing a compilation of your codebehind files. This is
now all done by ASP.NET. If you don't want on-demand compilation, you can
run aspnet_compiler.exe to precompile your application.