Where to begin?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hockeyman, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. Hockeyman

    Hockeyman Guest

    Hello all!

    A friend of mine has asked me to design a website for his business. I
    have limited html and programming knowledge but I'm willing to learn
    which ever language would be the most practical to setup this site up with.

    The site will contain information about his company, images of
    products(including specifications on each page), as well as dates and
    times of trade shows his company will be at.

    I would like to be able to have a database or an xml document?
    containing the trade show dates and times as they can change, as well as
    the products and specifications in a separate db/xml doc. I would also
    like to be able automatically post on the main page from the db/xml doc
    where he currently is so I don't have to update the site daily.

    What language would be the best approach for myself? I would like to
    keep the DB/xml doc quite simple so my friend could easily update the
    info within them himself so I wouldn't have to totally re-write the code
    to the site each time he makes a change.

    Any input is appreciated.

    Hockeyman, Sep 18, 2008

  2. Depends on the server for what is available. *nix then PHP (or Perl or
    Python) or with M$ then ASP (or Coldfusion)

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 18, 2008

  3. Hockeyman

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    If you go MS for the love of God don't use ASP, use ASP.NET

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 18, 2008